intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:35 pm

I picked this up last week. I knew I needed to get a copy of this as literally everyone who grew up with it (particularly in England) always raves about it.

Speedball 2 was, for many, one of the best [future] sports titles to ever grace an Amiga's monitor. Here in the U.S. back in the day, it was completely off my personal radar. But for many that I've met, this particular title was a high-water mark in graphics, arcade action and pure fun. So I had to get it. And this boxed copy is in really, really fine shape, too.

What I didn't realize when I bought the game was that it was notorious for only working on pre-1200/4000 machines running 1.3. And while I have a 500, it isn't my daily machine. So, after checking it out I will release it back into the wild momentarily. Even if you use relokick, newer Amigas simply can't play the game at all. After getting to the player enhancement screen, it just reboots to the intro titles no matter what you do. From what I've since read, this is not an uncommon issue. : / Like Bubble Bobble, it wasn't coded to exist on future hardware unless it was re-coded at some point, which it wasn't until years later as the CD32 version.

The disk, manual and box are in very good condition. I am asking for $15 + shipping (shipping depends on where you live). PM me if you're interested.

On a side note, this did at least key me in to the very cool CD32 version, which I plan on playing later this week.

See the pics for condition.
1.jpg
Box cover

2.jpg
Manual and disk

IMG_4413.jpg
Title screen

IMG_4415.jpg
Player mod screen

ptyerman
Worksop/ UK

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:20 pm

One of the finest Amiga games ever! There is a fixed version available that plays fine on a A1200, I have used it myself for several years and still do on occasion, it also has a trainer in the boot sequence that can be toggled on/off if so desired. You can find the ADF on most Amiga software sites. There is also a WHDload version that works fine on A1200/A4000, also available everywhere that has WHDload files.
This is one game that you can't miss, extremely entertaining and also hilarious with it! :lol:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:51 pm

@ptyerman do you know where I could find that ADF for the AGA version? I'd really love to give it a shot on my 1200 and finally, finally understand wtf "icecream" means. ;)

Does it need to be the CD32 version?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:11 am

Shot97 keyed me into a site where the file you mention could be found.

Really makes me think I should provide an index of ADFs here, too. Some of these old sites aren't going to be around forever... something to ponder on my end, I suppose, and how I'd want to attempt such a feat.

ptyerman
Worksop/ UK

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Sorry missed your post, haven't been around much for a couple of week. At least you found it, that's the main thing. As for sites going down, it's horrible when it happens, Back To The Roots was a massive Amiga site that is sorely missed, amongst others. I have a massive library of Amiga software and games saved on my hard drives and backed up on my server because of this. If I see something I don't have I immediately save it to hard drive so it's not lost if the site goes down!
EAB's ftp server is also a great resource for software.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:56 pm

I only just keyed into that massive treasure trove on EAB a few days ago, thanks to some helpful folks over there. Part of me wants to pull the whole thing down and stick it somewhere - it's not that big in the grand scheme of things. Blessedly, the files in question were quite small!

I plan on putting some resources here, too, very soon. Nothing as vast as what EAB and others provide, but at least something easier to find and access for the average person. If someone (it happens) is just starting out, it shouldn't have to be so hard to figure out where everything is at for a little fun after work. Right?

That's what I'm thinking, anyway. More to come soon. :)

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:59 am

Oh man! I remember back to the roots! Indeed, that was the place to go for the Amiga. I also liked Classic Trash for the DOS side of things. Those sites were something else before the new millennium ushered in a bunch of take down notices.

ptyerman
Worksop/ UK

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:21 pm

intric8 wrote:I only just keyed into that massive treasure trove on EAB a few days ago, thanks to some helpful folks over there. Part of me wants to pull the whole thing down and stick it somewhere - it's not that big in the grand scheme of things. Blessedly, the files in question were quite small!

I plan on putting some resources here, too, very soon. Nothing as vast as what EAB and others provide, but at least something easier to find and access for the average person. If someone (it happens) is just starting out, it shouldn't have to be so hard to figure out where everything is at for a little fun after work. Right?

That's what I'm thinking, anyway. More to come soon. :)
I'm sure a mirror of the EAB ftp would be more than welcome if that's what you had in mind, it was only a couple of years ago that the whole lot was nearly lost because the original host had to shut down. Luckily it was rescued by it's current host and so continues, I think there is currently only one other mirror.
As for the size, I have a backup of Aminet from 2014 and the whole site is only 49Gb, EAB's ftp wont even be half of that.

Looking forward to whatever it is you have planned, and you're right that things should be easier for newbies to use. Most of today's youngsters don't even know what a ftp is, never mind how to use one! :lol:

DuhProject

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 am

This is one of those games I LOVE playing, but am absolutely horrible at. I am not sure I have ever beaten the computer AI, which many online say is super easy. I get my butt kicked every time. Ha!

Maybe I will boot it up this weekend and give it another go.

On another topic, I picked up Yoku's Island Express on the Nintendo Switch yesterday. Besides it being a great game with interesting mechanics, I was delighted to see it was published by Team 17! That's quality!!

Return to “Trading Post”