Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:14 am

Yes it does, despite what the manual says. My first choice is always a CRT and some screen modes on LCDs produce a bit of interference of a sort. It is probably to do with sync signals and not actual interference but it is easy to look over it. On LCDs none of them seem to be perfect at all modes but definitely clear and easy to read text.

leighb2282

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Zippy Zapp wrote:Yes it does, despite what the manual says. My first choice is always a CRT and some screen modes on LCDs produce a bit of interference of a sort. It is probably to do with sync signals and not actual interference but it is easy to look over it. On LCDs none of them seem to be perfect at all modes but definitely clear and easy to read text.
Well, as an update, I took a chance and grabbed an NEC MultiSync LCD 1960NXi which hopefully can do the same thing as a 1970NX, even if it doesn't it was only $15 so i'm not to cut up if it doesn't work, now I just have to wait for a DB23 > DB15 cable to arrive.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 am

Try to find an IndivisionECS.
I have one - highly recommended!!!

leighb2282

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm

So i'm a bit confused,

I received a cable that seems to be wired up correctly, but I don't get ANY video throug the DB23>DB15 cable, the A520 to a television worked fine so I know the DB23 RGB port works but it doesn't seem to drive a multi-sync monitor, I would have expected at least garbled output....

any ideas folks (beyond buying a scandoubler)
leighb2282 wrote:
Zippy Zapp wrote:Yes it does, despite what the manual says. My first choice is always a CRT and some screen modes on LCDs produce a bit of interference of a sort. It is probably to do with sync signals and not actual interference but it is easy to look over it. On LCDs none of them seem to be perfect at all modes but definitely clear and easy to read text.
Well, as an update, I took a chance and grabbed an NEC MultiSync LCD 1960NXi which hopefully can do the same thing as a 1970NX, even if it doesn't it was only $15 so i'm not to cut up if it doesn't work, now I just have to wait for a DB23 > DB15 cable to arrive.

leighb2282

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Actually, looking again, it seems that whoever is selling thsi cable is setting the cable up for the monitor to auto-sync its status versus hard=wiring it as a color monitor and capable of 1024x768 and it also seems to be missing a ground on pin 5, i'm not sure if this missing pin5 ground as well as the manually set ID are a problem, (link) wondering if adding the pin5 ground might do the trick :?

leighb2282

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 pm

leighb2282 wrote:Actually, looking again, it seems that whoever is selling thsi cable is setting the cable up for the monitor to auto-sync its status versus hard=wiring it as a color monitor and capable of 1024x768 and it also seems to be missing a ground on pin 5, i'm not sure if this missing pin5 ground as well as the manually set ID are a problem, (link) wondering if adding the pin5 ground might do the trick :?
Whelp,

I got it to work... sorta, if I added Multiscan from the monitorstore and I was able to get an image via the LCD, but in 4 color and looking sorta crappy, is there any way to make the output at least 16 colors? or did I just end up wasting my time and money?

leighb2282

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:12 pm

Well, its holding fairly steady at 640x480 with the limited 4 colors for Multisync, it is RIDICULOUSLY clear compared to the composite output on the small tv I was previously using.

Here is a quick colorscheme I came up with that works semi-decently, I have MagicWB installed which expects 8 colors instead of 4 which is unfortunate, but This will do me for now, I'll have to look into an external scandoubler or an Indivision ECS at a later date.
vga_4color.JPG

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am

It seems your monitor might not sync to the original rates of the A500.
The cable just adapts the physical interface, not the signal.
I do remember such discussions from other forums. With the 4 colors only you can choose a screen mode that outputs at a different frequency.
To solve this you either need a different monitor or a flicker fixer such as the ICD Flickerfree (legacy product) or the IndivisionECS.
These monitors sometimes have an unholy variance between batches. Most models will have the same actual spec. Some long-running products may have received internal 'updates' over the course of their lifeline.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:28 am

By the way - any specific reason you don't want a GFX board such as the new one from Kryoflux?
Ok you'd still need a flicker fixer for the native chipset modes, but, hey, aren't the A2ks _meant_ to be expanded??

leighb2282

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 am

1 word: TOASTER! :P

Unless there is a decent Zorro II GFX board I am looking to use this for a project that involves a VideoToaster which will take up the GFX slot,
other wise I would probably get some sort of GFX card that goes into the graphics slot.
McTrinsic wrote:By the way - any specific reason you don't want a GFX board such as the new one from Kryoflux?
Ok you'd still need a flicker fixer for the native chipset modes, but, hey, aren't the A2ks _meant_ to be expanded??

Return to “Member Intros”