MatthewSmith

Posted Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 am

Greetings, one and all!

My name, as you may have gathered, is Matthew Smith. I'm not the one who created Manic Miner, though. Sorry!

I've been an Amiga fan for the best part of 30 years now; I was lucky enough to acquire an A500+ Cartoon Classics pack for Christmas back in 1991, and the rest is history. I still own that venerable old machine, along with an A1200 I acquired in 1999, and many of the games that I collected to play on both computers remain among my all-time favourites.

In recent years I've become more involved with the Amiga music remix community; there are all kinds of amazing musicians out there creating marvellous new arrangements of classic tunes from Amiga games and demos, and about five years ago I started commissioning some of my favourite artists to produce new renditions of various splendid tracks that hadn't previously been remixed. This led to a friend inviting me to help out with an Amiga remix album project that he was working on, and this in turn has led me to embark on an Amiga remix album project of my own, which – if nobody has any objections – I'd love to chat more about in The Lounge.

Many thanks indeed for reading. It's a pleasure to be here!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:58 am

Welcome, Matthew! I really enjoyed reading about your long history with the Amiga. Thanks for sharing that.
has led me to embark on an Amiga remix album project of my own, which – if nobody has any objections – I'd love to chat more about in The Lounge.
Are you kidding? We can't wait! Are you still using original hardware? I'd be very interested in all of your hardware/software in-use and how you've got it all hooked up.

And fwiw - we love pictures! Feel free to attach as many as you deem necessary to help tell your story if you're so inclined.

Cheers, and it's good to have you here.

MatthewSmith

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:13 am

Hello again! Many thanks indeed for the warm welcome. It's much appreciated!
Are you kidding? We can't wait! Are you still using original hardware? I'd be very interested in all of your hardware/software in-use and how you've got it all hooked up.
I should state outright that I'm not musically skilled myself; my role on the afore-mentioned album is merely that of producer. What I'm doing is putting together a collection of new studio remixes of assorted Amiga game tunes by a number of other musicians, including such stalwarts of the Amiga scene as Chris Huelsbeck, Allister Brimble, Barry Leitch, Jason Page, Tim Wright, Mike Clarke, Jogeir Liljedahl and Jeroen Tel, and the whole thing is themed around my all-time favourite video games magazine, Amiga Power. It's essentially going to be an AP tribute album, and in a couple of weeks I'll be running a Kickstarter campaign to help fund the production costs.

Below is the album cover, illustrated by comics supremo Roger Langridge, and starring regular AP characters The Four Cyclists Of The Apocalypse (whose role on the magazine was to pass judgement on joysticks and other Amiga peripherals).

If you're happy for me to do so, I'll start a thread about the album in The Lounge to explain more about the project and, very soon, share some excerpts from some of the remixes that have already been completed. Let me know what you think!

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 am

Dude. That is awesome. I love jamming to remix C64 and Amiga classics and am really amazed at what kinds of memories pop in while listening. The album sounds like a really cool project!

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi and welcome!

It would be awesome for me to learn about your work with and on the Amiga. Some pics of your setup would be great! It always a special story if you still own the very original machine that you got back then. Did you already remove any of the time bombs a.k.a. batteries? ;)

MatthewSmith

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Mr.Toast wrote:Dude. That is awesome. I love jamming to remix C64 and Amiga classics and am really amazed at what kinds of memories pop in while listening. The album sounds like a really cool project!
Thank you very much indeed! I shall post some further info about the album in the Lounge section soon; hopefully the whole thing will prove to be an entertaining trip down memory lane!

MatthewSmith

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:15 pm

McTrinsic wrote:Hi and welcome!

It would be awesome for me to learn about your work with and on the Amiga. Some pics of your setup would be great! It always a special story if you still own the very original machine that you got back then. Did you already remove any of the time bombs a.k.a. batteries? ;)
I did! And I was really rather lucky there, because I had no idea about the leaking battery issue until a couple of years ago, when mention of it popped up on a forum I was browsing. Thankfully the battery on my A500+ had barely leaked at all, so I was able to dispose of the little blighter and avoid any problems. Phew!

Return to “Member Intros”