3D-vice
Germany

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 3:10 pm

10 print "hello forum"
20 goto 10

I just stumbled of this great forum and after reading through various topics, I felt the urge to register and join the community. :)

I'm a 46 years old freelance 3D graphic designer who has worked in the computer- and video-games industry for over 10 years, before founding my own small company and switching over to the industrial sector of simulation and training 9 years ago.

One of my first computers was the good old C64, followied by the C128 the Amiga 500 later on. I'm a retro-enthusiast who enjoys both the original old machines, as well as the possibility to build new retro-machines with modern-day hardware, such as my "brand new" C64C. However, I am very proud of my original first-generation breadbon C64 (the one with the orange F-keys), because it is still 100% functional and in use.

Speaking of graphics: On the C64, I had my roots in doing graphics, pixelling art with a joystick and tools like Koala-Paint and Amica-Paint, being active in various demo-scene groups back then. My Amiga 500 was the first computer which had opened the gates to 3D for me, speaking of Lightwave 3D. Since then, I am hooked on 3D and it became my passion and daily work.

I hope to participate in some interesting discussions and meet some nice people here.

All the best,
Marc

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 pm

10 Print "Herzlich Willkommen"
20 Goto 10

I love reading stories like this!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Welcome! Great story, glad you joined.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed May 15, 2019 9:45 pm

Herzlich willkommen!

Do you still have the Original
Machines? Got some pics?

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! :D

Yep, I have some of my Original Machines. I'll post some pics here. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of my very first computer. It was an Apple II, with green on black monochrome graphics. Besides some nice games like "Bandits", "Choplifter" and "Loderunner", this computer was the one where I took my first steps towards doing graphics (using the "H Plot" command for drawing lines). :lol:
RetroSetup.jpg
However, the C64 was THE ONE which brought colour into my life. I remember loading my very first game, which was "Hawkeye" from Thalamus, and I also remember my jaw dropping to the floor. Colous, Paralax-Scrolling, Music instead of Beep-sounds. WOW! ;) I am very proud that my good old first generation Breadbin C64 is still functional. I just have switched from the original power supply to a modern one. I also use a Turbo Chameleon on this one, which makes it easy to plug the C64 to a modern flatscreen.
C64_Breadbox.jpg
On my journey through the Commodore World, I also got contact to the C16. I am still in possession of this one, but it needs some cleaning and the keycaps need to be retro-brightened.
C16_Datasette.jpg
Later on, I got a C128D (the one with the metal case), but I do not have any pics of that one and I do not have it anymore. However, it is still present and functional, since I had passed it to a good friend of mine, who still uses it for making SID music.

The next picture shows my first attempt to build a "modern" C64 using the C64 Reloaded Mainboard from Individual Computers and one of the newly created C64C cases from an IndieGoGo Campaign.
C64C_Reloaded_Mk1.jpg
However, I was not satisfied with the result, so I continued to fiddle around till I finally got a result which pleased me. This second "new" C64 contains the C64 Reloaded Mk2 Mainboard, a new C64C case in Breadbin Brown from Pixelwizard, a bunch of 3D-printed parts to support the keyboard, the MechBoard64 modern keyboard with adapaters for the original keycaps (see second image below), as well as a set of original keycaps from a donation keyboard. The only thing which needs to be replaced are the actual keycaps, if there'll ever be available form where ever.
C64C_Reloaded_Mk2.jpg
MechBoard64.jpg
Finally, I got my hands on a C64X, but this was just a try out of curiosity and - to be honest - it had nothing to do with a C64... I used it as my office computer, but the main board got damaged somehow and I did not have the muse to open and repair it.
C64X_Modern.jpg
OK, that's it for my 8-bit journey. I do not have any pics of my Amiga 500 (yet), since I have it completely disassembled in order to clean and rework it. If you like, I can post my Amiga-journey, because I have planned adding some nice mods, electronics, etc.

Have a great day, guys!
Marc

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 16, 2019 11:42 am

Welcome, Marc!

And what an absolutely GORGEOUS collection! You and I have very similar tastes (and obsessions) when it comes to the 8-bits. I just love it - and thanks so much to have posted those photos.

We're lucky to have you.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat May 18, 2019 11:36 am

Finally, my precious Amiga 500 is back from the Retro-Bright-Treatment. I assembled it again to shoot this photo. FYI - as you can see on the mouse, the yellowing was quite heavy and the brightening-treatment was quite a success. (Ok, mouse, YOU are next, muahahahaaaa.) I am very satisfied with the result.
Amiga500.jpg
That's it for the introduction pictures. I'll open a new thread in the Hardware Section of the forum, since I plan to make a complete overhaul of the computer, as well as adding a variety of modern-day inside attachments like the ACE2, Indivision ECS V2, etc. My goal is to have all those modifications installed without modifying the actual outer case. I am very curious if I get this done...

McTrinsic

Posted Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Awesome, this is looking great.

Will have a look on this endeavor. Good luck on keeping everything inside. Might want to have a small opening for usb if you manage to fit it.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:55 pm

welcome aboard and some nice machines you got there :D I'd love to get back into Lightwave on my A4000 someday but like you with young kids and work not much time until hopefully retire ;)

Return to “Member Intros”