codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am

cool! another Amiga community!

I've been a user since 1985 when one of my best friends got an A1000 as a high school graduation present. I currently have a modified A500, an A2000 with a German shipping box, several A3000Ds including an A3000UX, and piles of HW/SW. I used to do a lot of development in CanDo and ARexx, some C, AMOS, etc., and was a PageStream Wizard for a while. I've bought every version of Cloanto's AF, though I rarely use it, as I have so many working Amigas. I sold Amigas for a couple of years, and actually worked for about a year in the US offices of Psygnosis. Fun times. (I also have a Mac Mini with MorphOS on it, but I haven't gotten the license yet. Xmas is coming..)

Powered up my 26-year-old A3000D "Orion" on Saturday: "I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly." :) Orion: (WB3.1) A3640@25Mhz, 2 MB chip, 16 MB Fast, 64MB on a DKB 128, Picasso II+ gfx, X-Surf ethernet, 2xHDFD, int. HD, and an external PC case with SCSI CD-RW, ZIP, JAZ, and 2 more HDs. I'm using a commercial-grade NEC 17" 4:3 monitor with this, running at 1280x1024 res., and a Logitech 3-spkr sound system.

By day I'm an IT Guy at a local University, dealing with M$ desktops and Xen VMs, and a bit of Delphi coding here and there.

I live in Sutton, MA USA with 2 cats and a wife! lol

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks so much for joining, codevark! I am very humbled and honored that someone of your experience and vast Amiga past has taken the plunge here. Thanks! I started this place up here a while back when the screenshots I found everywhere online were just "wrong" and I couldn't take it anymore. I'm a designer by trade and live in Seattle. Anyway, the whole NTSC/PAL/4:3 issue finally drove me batty to the point where I decided, "I can't fix the internet but I can at least try to show some of these gorgeous games the way they were meant to be seen."

In addition to that, every time I tried to answer a question about how to do X or Y on my Amiga, I had to cobble together tidbits of ideas from 3 or 4 sources, sometimes more. And half of the time the suggestions didn't even work.

So, I also decided any time I learn a new thing on the Amiga - even the most basic - I'll document it and even attach pictures along the way. Not only does this help future folk to solving problems on the Amiga, but dang it helps me when I forget how to do something I'd already figured out how to do before.

I wish I'd written down everything I did to get the SCSI2SD working in 1.3 last year... I'll have to re-do that project again at some stage and write everything down. So cool to have it working in my 2000!

I've been having a ton of fun along the way with everyone here learning about the Amiga and documenting our shared experiences.

Your collection sounds awesome! I know I've posted about this several times around the site, but I also love the big boxes (although I'm on the 1000 and 2000 track). I keep my machines running 1.3 and find ways to make them do what their younger sisters can do. A lot of the games/software I'm interested was written for 1.3...

Anyhoo, I do have a souped up 1200 with 3.1 (and a 500 that I'm about to do some cool things with) but don't use it as much these days. My 2000 is my "daily driver". She's an awesome machine with all kinds of glorious hardware upgrades and peripherals, most of which were made when she was young. My 1000 is a combo of 2 machines - one that had a spotless case, and another that had flawless internals (except for the PSU, which I replaced with a refurbed PSU a couple of months ago). It's got a few MB of RAM which is all it really needs. It is my BBS terminal that I use to log on each night with a Paul Rickards WiFi232 modem. Wait till you see what my winter project is ... which I hope to reveal very soon. Something very rare and amazing is traveling to me from Australia as I type this.

I also have 2 C64s. I grew up on a breadbin; I have a mint one that I also made out of 2 machines. The keyboard feels brand new. I was at PRGE in October and lucked into finding a NOS boxed C64C, too. I don't have a deep affection for the C like some do, but dude - new is new. Still has the original receipt in the box!

Welcome to Amiga Love! Really looking forward to seeing you around the site.

Oh - I should mention that beyond our cool little community here we also have a Games Library where we do very deep dive reviews on games. I think we have 77 or 78 so far. I hope to get it around 125-150 - that should cover most of the important games on the platform, and currently is heavily focused on games made in the US (mabe 85%?). I do feel many of those get forgotten due to age among other reasons.

I'd love to see a pic or two of your workbench with your Amigas you currently use!

Here's a thread where some have been shown before (I'll take a pic of my current setup and post back here tonight).

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Here's my setup, codevark :)
Attachments
DJi6cAhV4AACMUN.jpg

TenLeftFingers

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi codevark. What an interesting background! I like that you're tempted to get a MorphOS license. And the more dev types the better IMO :)

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Sun May 20, 2018 7:46 pm

@ codevark

Hi & welcome :) nice 3000 & must have been cool working at Psygnosis during their prime!

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Sat May 26, 2018 8:16 am

@ intric8

<3 your setup :!:

Return to “Member Intros”