hardlink

Posted Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 am

Hello, I'm hardlink!

I have messed with/developed on the Amiga since about 1986. I was lucky enough to be able to use it for projects at work, and even used a loaded Amiga 4000 as my desktop work machine for several years.

At home, I have most (North American) Amiga models, as well as things like the oddball Bodega Bay which let you turn an A500 into an A2000. I have a good supply of peripherals too, including Toasters, Flyers, VLabs, BridgeBoards, Genlocks, etc. My main machine was an A4000 with a CybrerStorm 060+PPC with a CyberVision module.
I also collected a whole bunch of software along the way, too.

Alas, unfortunately all are in storage and unaccessable now, so I cannot show any pictures or assist others trying to get old hw going by probing my setup. I miss trying to get my Live! board working in my A2000.

I am near Washington D.C. and was active in the user group NCAUG when they were active (although the web page is still up) and went to Amiga events in St. Louis and in the East.

I am thinking of getting a Raspberri Pi and configurating it to be a dedicated Amiga emulator to keep somewhat hands on. I don't think I kept any dead A500 cases to put a Pi in, only the motherboard :( In fact, I'm writing this on a Raspberri Pi right now using a text editor that started on the Amiga, ne or Nice Editor.

This seems a very nice site and people here are doing some great things. I look forward to contributing whatever I can.

mattsoft

Posted Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Welcome!

If you're tight on space, a Pi with Amibian or Amiberry, or even WinUAE or FS-UAE on a Mac/PC, can be a great substitute to get your Amiga on. Nothing is as good as the real thing, IMHO, but emulation is VERY close to perfect and has some perks that real hardware is difficult or expensive to match (like mass storage support, lots of RAM, fast CPU, wifi modem, USB support, bluetooth support, and enhanced graphics).

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 am

Welcome hardlink! Thanks for joining and hopping in. Your horse sounds amazing.

The Bodega Bay.... wow, I’ve only ever seen ads in Amiga Worls for those. Total tanks that are indeed super cool. If you ever crack open your storage I’d LoVE to see a few pics. And if you got it working again? Maybe that’s the raspberry pi enclosure for you some day. Talk about overkill! Hah!

Look forward to seeing you on AmigaLove, hardlink.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:20 am

Hey hardlink! Welcome aboard!

I'm up in the northeast (hello from New Jersey!), and if you haven't seen Vintage Computer Fest East yet, it's worth coming up to and checking out! Next one is from May-18-20; details are here!

I've got myself an Amiga 4000 that needs some fixing up, as well as some parts, especially a keyboard. I'm still happy that I have this Amiga; I've been after one since I was a kid, and one basically got plopped into my lap recently!

AMIGA600

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:44 am

Welcome!!! what happened to your stuff resulting being stashed away?

Hope you are doing well!

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 2:22 pm

@ hardlink

you're not alone :D ...hope you get your sweet A4000 with a CybrerStorm PPC & CV out of storage and back in use soon <3

gregdonner

Posted Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:51 am

@ LamdaCalculus:

Noticed in your signature that you're looking for an Amiga 600--I have three (don't ask) in somewhat questionable states of functionality (two were recapped by eBay sellers).

If you're interested, let me know--I'm happy to let you have one (or two?) for the cost of shipping, just to get rid of them. One of them I'm saving to send to Acill, since he'll be recapping my A4000 motherboard and other Amiga PCBs.

I'm another of the hardcore A4000 fans--have always wanted one (did back in the early 2000s, but it kicked the bucket) and I'm getting back into the Amiga scene, trying to help beta test for OS 3.1.4.

Probably better to just e-mail me direct if one of the A600s is something you'd like (gdonner at gregdonner dot org).

Greg

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:21 pm

@ hardlink

welcome to the Amiga hoarders club :D

Return to “Member Intros”