A10001986

Posted Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 am

Hi folks, name's A10001986 aka Thomas, greetings from currently sunny Vienna, Austria (no, not the one with the Kangaroos, the other one).

I started off with a programmable Philips typewriter in 1981, followed by a C64 in 1983 (I *think*) and got my first Amiga in mid 1986 (at the age of 16), one of the first ones in a little country dangerously close to the iron curtain.

This machine, which I loved more than anything, much later got equipped with a Phoenix board in 1991, but since Amiga, as a platform, soon after was diagnosed with, well, slow death, I hung it out to dry and reluctantly bought a 486 PC. The years up until around 2000 I was an unwilling and unsatisfied Windows user, but then luckily Linux was about to become somewhat usable so I switched to Debian for a while, and dumped the crap from Redmond. Since 2007 I am exclusively on Mac. Haven't been using any Windows machine since.

I was never much of a gamer but rather interested in the inner workings of things, read programming. I wrote countless little programs, utilities, intros etc, however, nothing big. In 1991 a German company named Data Becker took it on themselves to publish my then most prominent brainchild, "MusicMaker V8" which I had started in early 1987. In the unlikely case anyone is interested, that thing is in Aminet. Later I wrote some graphics hardware drivers for the Linux kernel and X windows. However, my profession has nothing to do with computers or programming, that has always been just a hobby (for which I have zero time nowadays, partly thanks to my son of 10 months).

Anyway, the A1000-Phoenix still exists and works. In 2005 it got some company in form of three pristine A3000s, a couple of A2000s (never my thing) and an A600 (which I only bought because it was nearly free; IMHO a giant nall in Commodies's coffin). Oh and another A1000, which I kept entirely unmodified in order to re-live my Kickstart 1.1 memories.

My nostalgia comes in waves, the last was in 2005, the current one started about a year ago. Let's see how long it lasts...!

Regards
A10001986

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 am

Hey, Thomas! Welcome to the board.

Thanks for your contributions to the community, specifically this as well as your work with device drivers on the Linux kernel. It is an honor to have someone as knowledgeable as yourself among us here, especially someone whose knowledge has benefitted me directly.

My nostalgia also comes in waves, the most recent of which started about 8 months ago. I've since learned to stop selling everything, though, since the last round I regrettably sold all of my big box Amigas. :(

Congratulations on the baby. I look forward to conversing with you in the future.

Adrian

McTrinsic

Posted Tue May 29, 2018 11:13 am

Just one word.
Welcome!!!

A10001986

Posted Tue May 29, 2018 11:22 am

Thank you all! It seems that this forum has its focus more on stuff that I, too, care about most: The A1000 and nostalgia. And I like, from what I've read, that the forum is more about exchanging experiences than being a technical support forum (such as a1k).

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:46 am

welcome aboard A10001986 & congrats on becoming a dad recently ...don't worry about sleep and sanity as that will come back in about 18 years ;) :) ...in the mean time having a great hobby like Amiga will definitely help out a bit <3

A10001986

Posted Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Even if all those of you with babies will hate me now... sleep (or lack thereof) never was an issue. The little one slept through the night almost from the beginning. Only problem is that he wakes at around 6 (sunrise - about when I used to go to bed), even on weekends and demands entertainment - only to fall asleep again at 9. Yawn. (It's 9 here now.)

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:26 am

Heh our kids wouldn't let us sleep for almost 4 years: 2 from the first and 2 from the second.

The time with the kids is the time of my life. :)

A10001986

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:19 am

What on earth are they doing? Do you mean during the night, or just waking you up early?

I, too, consider (finally) having a kid as the best decision ever. Turned me into an emotional mush ball, but that little creature is the sunshine of my life. Just to watch him learn every day is priceless.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:14 pm

The Kids certain issues with the intestine and were crying like every Night.

Its over now :)

A10001986

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Ah I see.

Glad to hear it's over!

Return to “Member Intros”