santidarkg

Posted Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Hello everybody,

I was building my Amiga 2500 the last three months and I found this awesome forum.

My name is Santiago. I am from Spain but I have been working in California the last 13 years. I know, still my English is not that good so, be sure I will make mistakes writing here :D :D :D

Amiga user since Christmas 1987 if I remember correctly and Amiga Scener since........ I dont even remember, but still in the Amiga Scene with Capsule group.

I started with an Amiga 500 and 1mb or RAM plust Commodore 1084S monitor. I guess this was the basic setup when we were kids, right. Amiga 2000 was a dream and later, in Europe everybody was reading about the Video Toaster, Lightwave, etc and the A1200 and A4000 came out.

So, I worked hard and I bought an A4000/040 with 16mb of RAM. From there, I started to model 3d, using TVPaint, texturing models, animation, etc....... Amiga 4000 was a beast.

I did add a DCTV and later, a 060 with 128 Mb. From there, bit a bit and working hard, Cybervision64, Vlab Motion, Tocatta, Ariadne, AD512, Personal Animation Recorder, TBC IV, Video Toaster 4000, Video Toaster 2000, etc, etc. Took me a while to collect all these cards but like I said before, still is a dream to have this up and running.

The latest addon has been a Vampire V500 v2 on the CPU slot. I have some problems right now so I hope I can find a solution for this soon.

So, back to my story....... when Amiga 4000 was the last Commodore machine, PC were growing fast, really fast. I saw for the first time Lightwave 5.6 running on OpenGL with a Permedia 2 chip. Still I was holding strong with my Amiga 4000 but, the renders time and the market was moving too fast, and Commodore was dead.

It was time to jump on the train and learn more 3d............. so I did. From there and thanks to Amiga, I am working doing commercial games moving polygons here and there :lol: :lol:

But still I love this awesome machine and one day I will bring my Amiga 4000 to California. Right now a friend is recapping the motherboard and adding a few things here and there.

And me, I am building this fantastic Amiga 2500 with a lot of cards. Everything runs super fast with the vampire and all the boards are working..... just the Video Slot or Video Toasters are not seen and I am trying to find an answer for this.

Well, I should stop writing too much and I need to do some work.

Regards

SantiDarkG

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:43 pm

Sounds like some pretty robust systems! I will be interested to hear how all that old hardware works with the Vampire system.
Welcome, and enjoy!

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:13 am

Welcome Santidarkg!

Do I understand it correctly that the A4ooo is still yours and you still have the original setup from back then?

This is awesome!
Congratulations to keep the faith and keep the hardware. Back then I was too fast and sold aging hardware for new ones.

Wonderful places you have seen. Been to Spain multiple times (mainly Costa Brava / Barcelona / Girona) and a few times to the Bay Area. Could be worse I guess ;) .

Glad you found your way here!

santidarkg

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks guys.

Dynamic.........

A lot of people has been asking me about this. I can see a lot of interest in my Amiga 2500 and what I am doing on it so, I will make some videos or something. Just I am waiting for a new CPU adapter so I can connect again my Vampire. Once is done, I will do a review, benchmarks, 3d stuff, etc.

McTrinsic.......

Yes, still I have my Amiga 4000 in Spain. Right now is with my friend Edu Arana, our guru hardware guy in Spain fixing all our Amigas hehe.

To be honest, I tried to sell my Amiga 4000 after two years, when Commodore closed and was not support there. But I loved this machine too much, so, I thought, what the hell, lets keep it. Once is fixed, I will find a way to bring my A4000 to this continent and enjoy it again.

I have another A1200 here too, in Cali. It needs recap hehe. Seems our Amigas needs love more than ever.

Return to “Member Intros”