femuruy

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 am

Greetings! i am based in Uruguay, South America, started with Commodor computers in early 80s, went through a C128 and then in 1988 or 89? got an Amiga 500 with a SCSI HD sidecar, oh man ... that machine blew my mind and defined my taste for technology for the rest of my life, but as PCs became the standard ended up selling my miggy and became a beige-box user.
Anyway, fastforward 30yrs and in a heavy bout of nostalgia i came across someone selling an A500 and had to buy it! (this was 2 months ago)

In the meanwhile i also got an Armiga and a RPI3 for retrogaming ...

The Amiga is an A500 late-ish model (Rev 6a mobo) with a 8372A fat agnus, A501 trapdoor memory expansion that needed urgent rescue from a battery leak, 1.3 kickstart and surprisingly an ACD ADIDE 44pin ide interface!

The IDE interface is a 3d party add-on made by ACD Inc. Model ADIDE ... i've never seen it before but here it is! for more details": http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/adide

so far also got an ACA500+, amazing piece of hardware and got my miggy up and runing WB3.1 from a 4gb CF
20180712_100857.jpg
Things to do:

- get more ram?
- get DOpus installed (need help with this!)
- get WHDLoad installed

Regards to all
FemurUY

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am

Welcome! And nice find.

What help did you need with installing DOpus? It will want to insert some Assigns into your startup sequence (IIRC) so it can launch on boot-up, but my experience is this is only something you'd want to do if you had the RAM to spare. If you're only working off 1MB, it's not worth it. You'd only want to launch it when you really need to use it.

My A2000 has 16MB, so I let it launch on boot with that machine and it's no issue at all. But with most of my Amiga 1000's I just launch the program on an as-needed basis.

femuruy

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:50 am

Hi intric8, memory-wise got 0.5+0.5 + 7mb fast from the ACA500+, if i don't install it, how can i use it?
Regards!

FemurUY

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 am

I said that poorly. What I mean is if you install it to your hard drive, you don't have to have the program launch on boot. Don't let it modify your User Startup file.

Then, it'll just put the Directory Opus launch icon wherever you installed it. Double click that and it'll instantly just launch like any other program.

hasanc
Seattle, WA

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am

Welcome FemurUY! I’m from Chile, it’s nice to see people from South America :) Hope you’ve a great time around here.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:19 pm

@ femuruy

great setup! welcome aboard :)

Return to “Member Intros”