piper_flatline

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Nice to be back with Amiga!

I started off with computers using a TRS-80 CoCo in the eighties, then moved up to an Amiga 500 in the 90s. Had my original A500 for about four years before I moved on to PCs (mostly because work). During the time I had it, aside from playing games, I also did a lot of music tracking and art. Some of the work I did in D-Paint and Lightwave got me my first (art/audio) job in the games industry (1994), and I've been a game dev ever since. In 2001 I started programming again after a ten year hiatus.

Anyway... Just got my first "new" Amiga 500 this past week, and I'm so excited to really dive in with it. So far I've only really got Workbench up and running, and looked at some demos I had from the old days. I have several game disks from those days, too, but some don't work anymore, so I ordered a GOTEK floppy emulator which should be here in a week. I'd like to maybe add a CF drive. I'm also trying to learn Assembly so I can maybe make some games, tools, etc.

So that's me. :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Welcome, piper_flatline! Very cool of you to take the plunge here.

FWIW, I was born in San Pedro. I lived in Palos Verdes when I was very young, and lived in Hollywood and West LA (which I loved) in the aughts. I'm up in Seattle these days - love it here.

In any case, hat tip to the SoCal. (I also lived in the Bay Area for 10 years, and that's where my kids were born, so I never felt the North/South hatred. I love them both.)

Really look forward to seeing what you wind up doing. 99.9% of all of my disks still work, so I still drive floppies. But I also have one machine that has an internal SCSI2SD with a micro SD card in it as a secondary drive, and I love it.

I'd be so curious to hear some of your music and see your artworks if you're ever able to recover any of it.

piper_flatline

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:41 pm

intric8 wrote:Welcome, piper_flatline! Very cool of you to take the plunge here.
Thanks! :)
intric8 wrote:FWIW, I was born in San Pedro. I lived in Palos Verdes when I was very young, and lived in Hollywood and West LA (which I loved) in the aughts. I'm up in Seattle these days - love it here.
Ah, interesting. I lived up in the Seattle area for five years (late nineties) and worked in Redmond on games. Definitely miss it up that way.
intric8 wrote:In any case, hat tip to the SoCal. (I also lived in the Bay Area for 10 years, and that's where my kids were born, so I never felt the North/South hatred. I love them both.)
RIVALS! haha
intric8 wrote:Really look forward to seeing what you wind up doing. 99.9% of all of my disks still work, so I still drive floppies. But I also have one machine that has an internal SCSI2SD with a micro SD card in it as a secondary drive, and I love it.
I do LOVE floppies, for sure. I'm thinking of installing the GOTEK as a second floppy so I can keep the original working as well.
intric8 wrote:I'd be so curious to hear some of your music and see your artworks if you're ever able to recover any of it.
I've got a lot of the tracker music on tapes which I also transferred to mp3 years ago, so not too hard to share. Just kind of cringy now with bad recording techniques hahaha. As far as my Amiga art, I have some and I'm hoping to find more on one of these disks I've got. Might share at some point. Thanks for the interest. :)

Return to “Member Intros”