oldbull

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi all,

Been thinking about digging out the A1000 for a while. Started on the internet to see what information was available about re-awakening dormant hardware. That's how I found this place. Haven't had time to actually work on it so who knows what awaits in that original box I carefully repacked everything in all those years ago. I know where everything is, just need time for it.

A1000 upgraded vie front slot to 512k
KS / WB 1.3
third party external floppy
third party amber monochrome monitor
no speakers (in-period I sometimes ran a cable across the room to my hifi. Speaker placement was all wrong, but better than silence)
Panasonic KXP-1080i dot matrix printer (probably needs a cleaning and a ribbon now)
joystick borrowed from my atari vcs

I also "rescued" an A500 that was stored poorly (no dirt or moisture, just dust) That will need at least dismantling and a through cleaning before I put power to it.
trapdoor memory expansion with RTC (confirmed no battery leakage)
external commodore brand floppy drive
commodore color monitor (don't know which one) stored in a trashbag so that "should" be dust-free inside

Would y'all be interested in the serial number of either machine? I'm also on a car forum and they like to ask about a member's VIN is why I thought to ask about that.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Welcome oldbull! Thanks so much for joining. I hope you can shoot us some pics of your machines you're bringing back to life.

An amber monochrome? Oh man - I used to have one of those on an Apple II+ so many years ago. You lose all the color (which is kind of a major deal with Amigas) but you get such fantastic crisp clarity for text. So easy on the eyes, too. I love that color...

That being said, I'd highly recommend a color CRT if you can snag one somewhere.

Where in SoCal are you located? I'm in Seattle these days (and probably to stay) but I was born in San Pedro and even went to art school just north of LAX. At one stage I lived on Beachwood, just below the Hollywood sign. Love SoCal.

Also lived in the Bay Area for 10 years - love it, too.

Good luck with the 1000/500. Look forward to seeing more!
I'm also on a car forum and they like to ask about a member's VIN is why I thought to ask about that.
Incidentally, is it a VW forum? Commodore computers and VWs seem to be a pretty regular combination. Either way, I'm still curious. :)

piper_flatline

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:58 am

Greetz to you from another SoCal user (Palm Springs here). Welcome! :)

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:02 am

Welcome! Cool setup you have.

I still use a Dot Matrix printer on my Amiga too. It is a Star NX-2420 and it still has OEM ribbons that seem to still print fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the ribbon still prints fine on yours too. My MPS-1200 I took out of storage still had a ribbon in it from circa 1989/90 and it still worked. They don't make them like that anymore that is for sure.

oldbull

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks for the responses. I'm near the Twin Pines Mall. I did own a VW, but the forum is for a different make of car. Bugs are fun, but A/C is a necessity down here for a year-round car.

Return to “Member Intros”