A place for anything retro: gaming, hardware, software, gadgets, toys, entertainment - anything!
3D-vice
Germany

by 3D-vice posted Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 am

Hello all,

I am looking for a method to connecting all of my retro-hardware to a modern flat-screen. I've been browsing the interweb for quite some time and I've found a lot of upscaler-boxes, cheap and expensive ones, good and bad quality, but in the end I got stuck to the Framemeister from Solaris Japan. This device seems to be the flagship of upscaler units?

Since this device is quite expensive (but seem to do a very good job, picture-quality-wise), I wanted to ask if some of you guys actally own a Framemeister and if you're willing to share some insight/feedback?

Thanks in advance and cheers,
Marc
"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."
Quote from Major Motoko Kusanagi - Ghost In The Shell
obitus1990
New Orleans, LA, USA

by obitus1990 posted Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 am

I don’t own the FrameMeister, but I do own the OSSC (bought from videogameperfection), and it works great. It doesn’t have composite or SVideo inputs, however, which can be an issue for some systems (ones that don’t output an RGB signal). I use it with my Amigas, SNES, PlayStation 1, and original xbox.
A10001986

by A10001986 posted Mon May 20, 2019 1:22 am

I own a Framemeister and an OSSC.

The Framemeister is superb for S-Video (and it handles the C64's faux-S-video well). My choice for C64&co.

For the Amiga, the OSSC is the way to go. It's crisper, it can adjust to the screen modes with variable line multiples, and overall is better capable of emulating the old CRT-look on modern LCDs. Also, it does not add any delay (but beware, your TV will add some delay, depending on brand, model and picture settings).