intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:30 am

I was walking through a new curiosity shop in Seattle last weekend (who knew taxidermy was in such high demand?) and ran across a box of comics for 50 cents each. None of the titles looked any good, to be honest, but I picked up a few and started flipping.

And then I got slapped in the face by what I saw. The ads! I used to simply LOVE ads (hear that, adblockers?). I would scour them, study them, memorize them... and dream about the products I saw. Well, when they were video games I did, anyway.

Here's one of my favorites that I found: which I eventually owned (and still own) on the C64. I had no idea at the time what the slang for "Montezuma's Revenge" even meant, nor would I have cared. I crushed this game endlessly on my breadbox C64, and still love this game today.

Here's to good advertising (from 1984).
Attachments
hulk-montezuma.png
Cover for The Incredible Hulk, Jan 1984, #303, Marvel.

hulk-montezuma2.png
Ad for Montezuma's Revenge, 1984, by Parker Brothers.

ptyerman
Worksop/ UK

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Know what you mean. I used to love most of the ads in the Amiga magazines too. I would drool over some of the hardware in Silica Shop adverts which were always a full two page spread which was very colourful and enticing. Also the game ads from a company called Special Reserve, theirs was also a full page ad full of games and special offers, it was also a good resource for finding out new games and software too.
I miss them days! :(

AMIGA600

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm

I know what you mean... :)

CVG was my first.

Return to “Retro Corner”