oldbull

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:15 am

A while back my dad got rid of his hi-fi. I didn't care about the receiver and speakers were crap, but I saved the record changer. It spins and goes through the mechanical dance of all the changer bits just fine. The problem is the RPM is running slow.

Before I spend any more time trying to find a repair shop, I thought I should ask on here whether a BSR changer is worth getting repaired. This is a fancy model with adjusters for tracking force AND anti-skate.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:42 pm

I see one BSR record player on Ebay for $200. But I don't know if those are known as high quality, or more if they pluck the nostalgia heart strings.

I have a Denon player from 1978 with a replaced Shure needle, and it produces insanely good sounds especially with a phono pre-amp, Yamaha amp and great speakers. Getting a pre-amp is key, IMO.

oldbull

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:02 pm

It's this same model the Fisher 220X

Having spent a few days researching this I've come to the conclusion the machine needs to be disassembled, de-greased, cleaned, then put back together with fresh lubrication. It's not a pressing thing because I have a 1985 Magnavox turntable (not a changer) still chugging along. I just thought I was grabbing my dad's changer as a free spare.

Return to “Retro Corner”