3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:35 am

intric8 wrote:The real question is, "How much would you all be willing to pay?"
Well, that is a good question. I've asked this question myself and realized it is quite tricky to answer. However, I made a summary of the parts and their costs of the components I purchased to build my all new 2018 C64, just to have a first comparison sum to calculate with. Have a look:

iComp Power Supply: 19.98€
iComp Reloaded Mk2: 184.95€
Original C64 SID (2): 40.00€
Original C64 CPU: 20.00€
Original C64 CIA (2): 28.00€
Original C64 VIC: 20.00€
Pixelwizard C64C-Case: 59.00€
C64C Keyboard Support-Clamps: 15.97€
C64C Power Plug Cover: 4.95€
MechBoard64: 189.00€
1541-Ultimate-II: 139.00€

That's a total of 720.85€ (~ $811.35 USD) :shock:

... and yes, I was quite surpised seeing and realizing the resulting amount, lol. :D

So, if a crazy retro-collector guy like me invests that large amount of money to re-building a C64 with modern-day components, I assume I'd also pay a similar amount of cash for a new MEGA65.

I have a gut feeling that the MEGA65 might land beyond the 500.00€ line.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 pm

I have a gut feeling that the MEGA65 might land beyond the 500.00€ line.
I do, too, unless they've got a connection in China or Taiwan and I'd be surprised if they do (but they might!). And the costs usually only go down when you order at scale.

That all being said, this same conversation has been fired up on one of my favorite BBSes that I visit on a near-daily basis.

I captured one gentleman's opinion whom I respect very highly, as his words rang pretty true for me, too. I love my Ultimate64, but in hindsight part of me wishes I'd known about the Elite. I'm not getting the Elite now. But had I known last year I might have waited. After all these years, will there be a MEGA128 in 2021? Who knows...

Anyway:

Pasting screenshots I took with my phone.
IMG_2372.JPG
IMG_2373.JPG

Pinacolada

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:44 pm

I had a chance last weekend to visit for a few hours with Paul and try out some things with the MEGA65. Having trouble uploading video from my tablet though (I did get one video uploaded here), and waiting on Gordon (gsteemso) who has pictures of us 3 together. Was pretty cool.

Overmann

Posted Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:21 am

Mega65 looks amazingly cool and I would LOVE to buy one some day, men the dev kits are a staggering 1000 EUR. And they look much cheaper then the final machines. I wonder if that is an indication of the final price..

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Overmann wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:21 am
Mega65 looks amazingly cool and I would LOVE to buy one some day, men the dev kits are a staggering 1000 EUR. And they look much cheaper then the final machines. I wonder if that is an indication of the final price..
I have read that it will not cost that much. If they want to sell it in quantity and have a large user base then that can't be the final price.

urken

Posted Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:14 am

A little of topic but if you have an old 64 bread box, a much better choice for your money would be the Ultimate 64.
https://ultimate64.com/Main_products

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:10 am

So, the MEGA 65 is about to be released within the next few days (probably). I am very curious about the final price for the machine. I think I will try to get one of those...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 am

Oh man - will they all get sold out before I even wake up? :ghost:

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:11 am

3D-vice wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:10 am
So, the MEGA 65 is about to be released within the next few days (probably). I am very curious about the final price for the machine. I think I will try to get one of those...
Where did you find this information? I didn't see this news on the site, unless I overlooked it.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:35 pm

I follow the developer team on their official forum over here.

Have a look at this post from September 6th, 2021.

The first line reads: "Der MEGA65 Preorder start ist um den 15. September herum geplant. +/- eins, zwei Tage."
Translation: "The MEGA65 preorder start is scheduled around September 15. +/- one, two days."

Also, they plan to offer some sort of early-bird access to the preorders, for those who had donated to their injection mold funding campaign (which I had participated in and donated to back then, yay :D ).

The preoders will be handled by their partners over at Trenz Electronic. This is where one can place the preorder, limited to one machine per individual (at first), full prepayment. Trenz Electronic had also successfully handled the distribution of the MEGA 65 development kits a whle ago.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”