3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sun May 10, 2020 8:17 am

Hey guys,

today I was fiddling in my 8-bit man-cave and had some of my "C64" machines at hand. A spontaneous idea popped up in my mind: Why not compare them? So here we go:
C64_Comparison_1.jpg
Top: C64x | Middle: TheC64 | Bottom: C64

C64_Comparison_2.jpg
Left: C64x | Middle: TheC64 | Right: C64

C64_Comparison_3.jpg
Top: C64x | Middle: TheC64 | Bottom: C64

There's not much to say about the original 1982 "C64". THE LEGEND! The one on the photos is from one of the first production runs, because it has the orange F-keys, which had been used in the VIC20 as far as I know.

I'm sure some of you remember the attempt of Commododre USA to re-animate the C64 trademark in 2011, buy building the "C64x". The Commodore 64x is a replica PC based on the original Commodore 64 case, powered by standard x86 Intel processors ranging from the Intel Atom to the Intel Core i7. It was sold by Commodore USA starting in April 2011. Because Commodore USA went out of business after the death of its founder, Barry Altman, this machine is no longer available.

The latest version of a C64 is of course the 2019 "TheC64" from Retrogames Ltd. It runs a linux-based game-console-like OS, but also has a functional basic and keyboard.

It is interesting to see the slight differences in size and form factor, as well as in the keyboards. Further more, the C64x case clearly shows some injection-mould sink-holes in the plastic's surface.

That's it for now. Stay safe!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 am

That's very cool to see them lined up like that. Did you buy the 64x back when they were new? Do you ever use it?

bwldrbst

Posted Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 pm

I've got a dead C64 lying around. I'm planning on replacing it's innards with a Raspberry Pi running bmc64, .

There's also an adaptor for the keyboard and joystick ports: Just need to get some pcbs made.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Mon May 11, 2020 1:58 am

intric8 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 am
That's very cool to see them lined up like that. Did you buy the 64x back when they were new? Do you ever use it?
Yes, I bought a new one back in 2011. It was nice to have one and the "Commodore OS Vison" (a heavily modified Ubuntu Linux) was a nice try creating a "new" OS, but the machine never managed to spark the "Commodore" or "Commodore is back" flame.
CommodoreOSLoad.jpg
One of the Commodore OS Vision desktop images

In fact, the C64x is my office computer, have a look:
IMG_20160205_161007.jpg

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Mon May 11, 2020 2:06 am

bwldrbst wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 pm
I've got a dead C64 lying around. I'm planning on replacing it's innards with a Raspberry Pi running bmc64, .

There's also an adaptor for the keyboard and joystick ports: Just need to get some pcbs made.
Then I'd like to recommend a bunch of assets which might be useful for your Raspberry PI C64 project:

- Keyrah v2 from Individual Computers: Use your original C64 keyboard on any PC via USB
- 3D-printed Raspberry Pi Conversion Kit C64 Breadbin or C64-C by COREi64: No drilling holes into you precious case

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”