This is the place to discuss our glorious C64/128 machines and their very active scenes. Other C= 8-bits welcome, too!
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:10 am

The 128 support is not as rock solid as for the 64, but it's getting there. If you aren't running REUs I think it's fine as the 1541 emulator (which is what I use it for the most on my 64).
Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

by Mr.Toast posted Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:29 pm

The Ultimate 64 is looking tastier and tastier :/
Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

by Zippy Zapp posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:54 am

This article about an in development RAM expansion for the 64/128 by Jim Brain might be of interest. This was posted last year but there has been no update since. Still, it sounds cool and I may ping Jim Brain to see if it is still ongoing.

http://www.go4retro.com/2018/05/21/ram- ... r-the-c64/
Dynamic_Computing

by Dynamic_Computing posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:06 am

I found an REU from a guy in Canada,and bought it and a Aprotek expander for $100 plus shipping! I am looking forward to getting it next week.
https://www.youtube.com/c/10minuteamigaretrocast
@10marc1 on Twitter
BertyFromDK

by BertyFromDK posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:13 am

intric8 wrote:This leaves me with a few questions.

1. Should I de-solder the plugged holes and solder in a socket for a function ROM? I wouldn't ever want to solder in a function ROM as there'd be no way to disable it. If I installed a socket for a function ROM, would I need to remove a section of the heat shield for it to fit?
2. And look at that area above the ROM bay. It looks like it's made for a jumper - for adding an on/off switch, perhaps? Does anyone reading this know if that's for enabling/disabling the function ROM when it is installed? I found the schematics if you're skilled in reading those.

Hi, I may be able to shed a bit of light on question 2 here:
If the jumper area you are referring to is the one labeled J2, then it is not for enabling/disabling the ROM, but for selecting the size, either 16Kbyte or 32K.
I'm afraid that in order to be able to disable the ROM, it is necessary to cut the trace on the board that connects /CE (Chip Enable) to ground, and install a switch there so that this pin can either be grounded or pulled up to Vcc (5V) via a resistor, as I have shown in this excerpt from the diagram:
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 am

Ah - thank you for that information, BertyFromDK!