rpiguy9907

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:19 pm

I recently finished a patriotic Commodore 64 build using a spare short board and a transparent case from the old kickstarter and thought I would show the final results.

The keyboard plate was painted gloss red, the RF shield was lightly sprayed with metallic blue, and the keys are of course, white - producing a very patriotic Red, White, and Blue machine :-)

Now the only question is, should I add some LEDs inside the case to light it up when the room is dim?
Attachments
IMG_0197.jpg
See thru

IMG_0199.jpg
Patriotic

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:21 pm

Ah man, that looks fantastic! Good work there.

I’d vote nay on those LEDs ;)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:59 pm

That is SO cool! I just love that.

I am so wanting one of those clear cases - so sweet. And for me personally, after seeing a program running on an U64 in one of those clear cases, where the SID music was programmed to do a light show inside the case, I'd be all for LEDs. Of course, finding that program would be tough, but still! :)

Very cool, man.

rpiguy9907

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:50 am

I’ll have to find that demo. You may have just convinced me to look into LEDs!

Bulletdust

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 pm

I've got the transparent case, I just can't find a modern motherboard for it that doesn't involve compromises!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 pm

@bulletdust

What do you mean?

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:04 am

intric8 wrote:@bulletdust

What do you mean?
Well, whether it be the new C64 Reloaded or the Ultimate 64, both seem to have user port issues (one doesn't even have a user port). I need a workable user port for my WiModem.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:26 am

You’d have to get a C64 Reloaded MK-I. Afair the issues that concern you are due to the incorporated chip that is part of the chipset. Don’t remember which it was. Starts with ‘8’. The MK-1 still has a chip, the MK-II has it built in and it produces issues.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:01 am

I don't have an MK2, I have the original board but apparently the 8701 clock generator chip on the MK2 is the icomp replacement and it is integrated in the motherboard and there is no way to change it. So an MK2 board apparently does not play well with some user port devices.

The original Reloaded board, does not have this problem, as long as you change out the iComp 8701 replacement for a real MOS 8701 chip. You can do this on the original because it is socketed just like a real 64. When I bought mine it came with the 8701 replacement that supported PAL only so I immediately removed it and replaced it with a real 8701.

Of course the iComp people are blaming Jim Drew's modem as the culprit but if that is the case why does it work on an original 64 and if you replace the clock chip on the MK1?

It should also be noted that the clock replacement chip they produce and integrate into the MK2, is not 100% compatible so it will have issues with some cartridges and devices, at least that is what I have read by others that know a whole lot more about it then me. That being the case I cannot see myself ever purchasing an MK2 board. Not so long as I have a real 64 that is working.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 am

Agreed. All I wanted to say was that maybe an MK-1 Realoded Board might fulfill the desire for a modern board.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”