intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:18 am

A new feature, and a rather exciting one I think, is in the process of being added to the existing Games Library.

AmigaLove now offers ADF files for most of the games in the Library, and occasionally we'll provide other handy downloads as well (PDF scans of manuals, etc.). You'll find the downloads, if a game has any, below the Game Details box.

So far, most of the Games (UPDATE: 87%) on this site have tested and working ADF files associated with them. The rest of the Games Library should be up-to-date within a week or so. Adding the ADF files as individual downloads on the site is a tad time consuming, but completely worth the effort.

Note: by adding these files to the site, we will have to keep an eye on two main things. 1) Overall download bandwidth and 2) site performance. If the ADFs and other downloads begin to impact the site's costs and/or performance (a high-class problem to have) we will consider ways to remedy that and keep things running. Currently, downloads are open to all site visitors, including guests. Hot-linking to AmigaLove files from other sites is prohibited.

I hope you'll find this new feature useful, especially after reading about a game you may have missed in the past.

<3
Attachments
downloads.jpg

AtariST

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 10:16 am

Would it be possible to make the games playable online using the Scripted Amiga Emulator?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 am

Would it be possible to make the games playable online using the Scripted Amiga Emulator?
I'm not sure - I've never reached out to Rupert Hausberger about his project.

That being said, 99.9% of the ADFs that we provide are from original disks - not copies or cracks - unless there's just no other option. I'm not sure where Hausberger gets his games. I mean, there are literally thousands of files floating around out there. While I like to think AmigaLove's are the most "pure" (no cracks often means you actually need the manual in many cases, nothing more) there is certainly no lack of software for him to try. And our database is less than 100 currently. It's a long labor of love. :)

FWIW, there seem to be more demos to choose from than games in his emulator. And the sucker is pretty slow, so I don't think you're getting the best experience there. It's impressive, don't get me wrong, but if you're looking for an Amiga Emulator, I'd recommend Amiga Forever or WinUAE. You need a PC for those...

I'm guessing the porting process isn't exactly easy for Hausberger, but I really don't know. The last update to that project was almost a year ago.

TenLeftFingers

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 6:08 am

intric8, this is amazing. The games are beautifully presented and the ADFS and box art are exactly what I've been looking for recently. (When I was young I would figure out a game in minutes - but these days I need to read up even on my old favourites like Settlers!).

I can imagine this is a lot of work, indeed. Thanks for your dedication!! <3

PS: Do you take submissions of manuals for eg games.php?game_id=69 ?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks, TenLeftFingers - it's nice to get that feedback. IIRC, you were the one that gave me the idea to create the <3 Smilie, too. I depend on feedback from folks here to help keep things straight, and the kind words are appreciated, too!

And in terms of manuals, if you have a scan of the original (and it's not being "stolen" from a blogger, et al) I would absolutely upload it and put it in the "Helpful Assets" section of a game page. I've done this a couple of times, especially when the manuals are must-haves to play a game and I have one handy. Scanning a big book from scratch (think: Civilization) isn't likely to happen. Not for another 20 years until I retire. :) FWIW, 90% of the box art scans are from my own collection. Only a small handful are borrowed, typically from product shots on Ebay.

So yes - you can PM me and we can do an exchange for sure! I'll take all the help I can get to make this shrine better. It takes a village.

<3

AtariST

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 am

intric8 wrote:but if you're looking for an Amiga Emulator, I'd recommend Amiga Forever or WinUAE. You need a PC for those...
I know, I'm not living in the 80s anymore. As the source code of SAE is freely available on GitHub, I thought you could upload it to this website, adapt it slightly and then let visitors decide if they want to click the download button or "play online". SAE would then directly load up the game without having to choose it from a list. Similar to websites that let us play SNES/NES games online with a Flash/Javascript emulator.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 am

As the source code of SAE is freely available on GitHub, I thought you could upload it to this website, adapt it slightly and then let visitors decide if they want to click the download button or "play online".
Oh I see what you're saying now. Doing something like that would be really cool, for sure, but it is way above my pay grade. And, well, I guess I'm still living in the 80s. I've got a small room dedicated to these old machines. I recognize that's not practical for a lot of people. To each his/her own.

But I think most download the ADFs and just load them into their installed emulators and play them offline. Interesting "full featured" idea, though.

Return to “Site News”