Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Besides getting "unzip" from Aminet, you'll want "lha" ... Ummm... There's one for dms as well, some demos seem to come on dms. It's not too bad unziping from the shell, but I know Disk Master makes all the difference in terms of archiving several files at the same time.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Well... Nothing... You wouldn't happen to have a reference manual for the Amiga would you? Your disks told me to "have a good day" after disk one installed... It never even asked for the other disks! I gave it manual assign's, nothing... I'm sure Sierra had HD installed games before this one... I'm about ready to give up and blame it on them though... I really hope they were not that incompetent to release a game with a non functional install program...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Hm... that's very odd. I didn't think the disks had copy protection, but maybe they did?

I have the entire boxed set. Let me take a look in the manual and see if it sheds some light.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Well, Amiga instructions are in the actual manual... and all it says is pretty much to follow the install program and then double click the icon... No Sierra... No.... Not working.... But some of your other games are.... So I'm betting you screwed something up there Sierra, and you never fixed it! Because none of your Amiga games go above version 1.0 it seems! Son of a.... I sit baffled.... Not even I thought they were this terrible... If someone has had success getting this thing installed and running on a real Amiga please let me know.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:56 pm

If you try an play off the disks alone, does that work?

I wouldn't be surprised if the install has some sort of goofy B.S.

Let me go take a look here tonight.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Guess what else?! The manual tells Amiga users to read the "readme" file on disk one... BUT THERE IS NO REDAME FILE ON DISK ONE! Or any other disks! I want to do such terrible things to these people responsible for this 30 year old game...

Yeah, it runs "fine" from floppy disk... By fine I mean too damn slow not to install.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:59 pm

It will close Workbench and sit there with the black screen and the white Sierra menu... For the rest of time...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:05 pm

That's a sad state of limbo! OK, I remember this being a bit goofy when I played this last year.

And the disks should be copyable, because they encourage you do to do so.

However, note the screenshot of the manual:
IMG_6807.JPG
Handy installation notes - oh so handy!

Truth is that they should have fixed this from the code side, and not put it upon users to fix themselves. Kind of lazy if you ask me.

So basically you have to fix the install names by hand as you install to HD. Makes total sense, right?

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:13 pm

You mean the "copy of" thing? That's not their fault... Not that I wish to defend Sierra at this moment... But that's Workbench 1.x for you. If you copy a disk using the duplicate tool from Workbench it will automatically add "copy of". This is so both your original and your copy can be in two drives at the same time. Most independent copy programs don't see why anyone would ever need to have both in two drives at the same time, so they do not include that stupid copy of thing. That just means the program is always looking for the name of disk, in this case CB#1, not Copy Of CB#1.

Later on where it mentioned turning off your floppy... hmmm... I'm going to go ahead and give that a try before screaming that it's all their fault... I'm going to turn off the external drive and even load some memory saver programs (not that it would do any good since they close Workbench).

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:24 pm

So, the ADFs that you now have... I think the machine believes those to be originals. And you actually have to copy them through the normal copy process, except re-naming them accordingly?

Ho. Lee. Crap!

Return to “Site News”