intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:13 am

In order to keep as many avenues open as possible, we decided to create a Facebook page to keep the community up to date with new posts on AmigaLove.

You can find us here.

In the next few weeks, we'll back-fill many of the most popular forum topics and games from the Library first. Then, as new content is added we'll do our best to post links and images on Facebook.

More options for folks to stay connected isn't a bad thing, just like our previous decision to post to Twitter and sometimes on Reddit, when appropriate.

Cheers

Kitty
London UK

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:46 pm

Liked ;)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Nice kitty (pet pet).

<3

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:14 pm

I think I've had it marked as liked for some time at this point, sadly Facebook is not what it once was with getting the word out. I mean just on a social friends level it's fundamentally built itself around what's popular, not what's intriguing or well thought out. It was once the best place to go for a business I felt, but now they're so desperate for money they just don't let anyone see your stuff without paying for it. Massive YouTubers with 15+ million subscribers and many many millions of likes on facebook have complained how the people who liked their page can't see their stuff... It's just sad because I have to remember to check the page out because I'm telling you facebook has not once deemed AmigaLove to be worthy of making it onto my feed. I have to either remember or I have to set up special notifications which means every little thing you do throws me notifications and emails and... ahhh... I just want what I told facebook I wanted to see to show up in my feed like it used to once upon a time!

A YouTuber once went through facebooks pay to get seen thing and they advertised to him "pay ____ in order to get however many views... Pay top dollar which was well over a hundred bucks I think, and it will get this many views... Which was far less than the people who had liked his page... wow... Unbelievable how some companies just give every opportunity for someone else to run up and take them over... Too bad the only one that really tried of late was Google, probably an even bigger evil...

AMIGA600

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Shot97 wrote:I think I've had it marked as liked for some time at this point, sadly Facebook is not what it once was with getting the word out. I mean just on a social friends level it's fundamentally built itself around what's popular, not what's intriguing or well thought out. It was once the best place to go for a business I felt, but now they're so desperate for money they just don't let anyone see your stuff without paying for it. Massive YouTubers with 15+ million subscribers and many many millions of likes on facebook have complained how the people who liked their page can't see their stuff... It's just sad because I have to remember to check the page out because I'm telling you facebook has not once deemed AmigaLove to be worthy of making it onto my feed. I have to either remember or I have to set up special notifications which means every little thing you do throws me notifications and emails and... ahhh... I just want what I told facebook I wanted to see to show up in my feed like it used to once upon a time!

A YouTuber once went through facebooks pay to get seen thing and they advertised to him "pay ____ in order to get however many views... Pay top dollar which was well over a hundred bucks I think, and it will get this many views... Which was far less than the people who had liked his page... wow... Unbelievable how some companies just give every opportunity for someone else to run up and take them over... Too bad the only one that really tried of late was Google, probably an even bigger evil...
I do not really like Facebook, or use Facebook, for many reasons other than being a waste of time. Posting pictures of yourself can be addictive, because that plays to the narcissist in any human being. I am glad I never went that route. The pictures of myself is usually with my spouse :) And those pictures are important to us, not for the 99% of Facebook friends I don't hang out with. (minus the university years where I took pictures of my physique and muscles after workouts XD) (what can I say, I was on a students budget, with nothing to do other than studying and being on the computer)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:38 am

I tend to agree with many of the comments above, but I went through the process of creating a Facebook Page for AmigaLove simply because there are over 500 million people who do like to use Facebook, and some only use Facebook as a means to receive filtered information. Is it an echo chamber? You better believe it.

But to ignore it, I think, is probably the wrong approach. There very well may be a small handful of folks over there who would very much like to consume some of the content posted here. A recent post I did over there (and had to spend $7 to do it) reached over 600 and garnered over 40 likes. Did that create any traffic? Nope. But did it make a few eyes open? Maybe.

Will they ever come back to the FB page? Maybe a couple. Will they become active members here? Doubtful. But not trying anything guarantees they won't.

FWIW, we also have a Twitter account for AmigaLove. It, actually, has grown quite a bit this year. The account started in February or May and has already over 285 followers. Does Twitter drive traffic? Almost none. Does it create brand awareness? Definitely. At least, so far, it seems to have quite a bit.

Some basic figures, for those who are into this kind of thing...

In the past 30 days, the following are traffic referrals from other sites (this is pulled from Google Analytics, which has its own issues). These count as "sessions" not "unique visitors", so there could be some overlap. Regardless, in the vein of total transparency (I don't mind):
  • Reddit: 786
  • Google (search): 294
  • EAB.abime.net: 116
  • Lemonamiga: 75
  • Twitter: 75
  • Facebook: 62
  • Duckduckgo: 13
  • YouTube: 9
And lots of other little stuff. In all, across August, 2016, amigalove.com served content to 2,023 users who created 2,591 sessions on the site. That's pretty good, IMO. That's the third-best month since the site launched in early 2016. (April was completely bananas, with over 11,000 sessions alone due to the insanely popular post "The mysterious sales numbers of Commodore computers", which admittedly hit a much larger audience due to the broader topic.)

Building a site, let alone an active community, is a bit like farming without knowing if your crops will ever take hold. Is the soil good soil? Is there anyone who likes this type of vegetable? It used to be "the thing" but that was a generation ago. And yet, there are some other Big Agra companies out there already supplying a form of this to a rather cozy population of folks. Could some nice new packaging entice any of them?

At the end of the day, hopefully for yourselves as well, this is a labor of love. It's not really "work" even if at this young stage it feels like we're mainly talking to ourselves and a select outside group that finds us interesting from time to time but hasn't joined the party.

And I think that's OK. For now, I think all of this is OK. More cool stuff to announce soon, too, by the way.

<3

Return to “Site News”