McTrinsic

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:48 am

... get it from

http://hyperion-entertainment.com

Already bought it.

I could be customer #1.

I have been part of the beta-phase, its awesome.

No really utterly needed new bells and whistles but the stable basement that you can build an install upon.

No more need for BoingBags!

On aminet is a script that could migrate older instalaltions.

Cheers,
McT

femuruy

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:01 pm

i would love to see a review of it. Wondering how to install it on my A500 w/ WB3.1 ...

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:44 pm

I will be getting it in the next day or so. I will do a "10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast" review of it. I am very excited about it!
I have been using 3.9 for years, and like it just fine, but that upgrade path has stagnated.
It is just amazing what is happening in our little community lately!

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:48 am

The way you say it might indicate you cold be disappointed.

The thing is, 3.1.4 has little if any real new additional features as such. It rather has fixes and removed barriers.

For example, larger HDDs can be used out of the box. Making use of HDDs is nothing new as such.

It's WAY more robust but feature wise almost just 3.1.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Im waiting till they have physical disks and kickstart rom. I dont really see a need for downloadable images for myself at present.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 pm

BloodyCactus wrote:Im waiting till they have physical disks and kickstart rom. I dont really see a need for downloadable images for myself at present.
+1.
It is a shame that you have to buy separate versions for different Amiga's, though.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:14 pm

A huge and significant part of this update are ROM-updates which have been machine-specific since the beginning. And up to 3.5/3.9.
Just think about buying a ROM for your Amiga. You have to buy one for each. For example, the workbench.library is now ROMable.

The other files such as the new 'dir' are of course interchangeable between systems.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:13 am

I was more referring to software WB disks, not so much the ROM chips as I remember buying them in the past.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:34 am

The software is the same.
The diskset contains a 'modules' disk which replaces machine-dependent, well, ... ROM-modules.

And these are machine-specific.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:40 pm

While I get the common complaint that people are making about having to buy multiple copies - it is only $35 or so. I think it is worth it to support our Amiga's. On the other hand, it does sound like most of the good people that have programmed it are not reaping the benefits of these sales - Only Hyperion is making money on it. Not quite fair, but it seems to be what they signed up for. I think Hyperion should send them all some $$ for their hard work.

My experience so far is mixed. I had real issues getting it to work on my A4000 Desktop with my Warp Engine, but those seem sorted now. I really miss things from 3.9 like the Editpad, the launcher and mostly the HDToolbox from 3.9. Oh well, I can find replacements for all of these. It really is very fast, and the new intuition library that allows you to move windows off the screen is most welcome. I have not gotten it to work with my RTG graphics, only AGA - but I also have not looked to deeply into it.

Once I am happy with 3.1.4 on my main machine, I may buy more copies for my A3000 and A2000, but I may leave my A1200 at 3.9 as a reference machine.

Return to “Site News”