Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:46 pm

- King of the Blues -
- From the American magazine Amiga World, July 1987, page 43

Sifting through Amiga World to find a review for a write up I'm working on I came across this one page article that widened my eyes quite a bit. Much like the King, I was also a lover of Deluxe Music Construction Set. I really don't have too much to add, I just figured I'd let the article do the talking.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:09 pm

And here's a video of the man talking about it! Oh wow, this is just amazing to see.

Part 1

Part 2

I wonder where Commodore used this video. I would guess they shipped it to dealers to play on loop. They should have been airing this stuff on late night infomercials... Who says Commodore couldn't advertise? This is a quality video, although I'm sure Commodore didn't use it like they should have.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:43 am

Right at the end of Part 1 a guy shows a clip of Sach's "20,000 Leagues" game demo which never came to be. Makes my heart ache!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:25 pm

The things that spoke to me the most were the quick little 2 seconds of the Amiga voice, then the woman who said her son had just seen a Nintendo and was "horrendously disappointed" because he grew up with the Amiga! hahah! Now I had both the Amiga and an NES so I was never "disappointed" in the NES, but I always knew, well into the 16-bit generation that the Amiga offered something Sega and Nintendo could not offer. The "big" games were on the Amiga, the grown up games, the games I wanted to play.

And of course at the end of part 1 I noticed the word processor Commodore chose to show off was ProWrite, not WordPerfect :P hahah. This whole presentation, computer for the creative mind, that truly was what the Amiga was about. People want to bitch at Commodore for not marketing it differently, man, my friends, people fell in love with the Amiga, and a lot of that had to do with Commodore marketing it toward creative people in America. Be careful what you wish for, friends...

Part 2 showing off all those programs running at the same time... B.B. King was just so damn genuine. I'm not much for paying any attention to advertisements, they just don't speak to me... But if I came across this on late night television one night in the 80's, I'd be buying.

Return to “The Lounge”