Bulletdust

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:09 am

Just a quick post in the hope someone can help me.

I'd really like to be able to log into My favorite BBS's from my desktop PC running KDE Neon (based on Ubuntu 18.04LTS). I understand some people may be scared off by my use of Linux, however bear in mind that the software I'm using is also available under Windows and Mac platforms.

So far I've tried Netrunner, which seems to default to RIPscript when ANSI-BBS is selected as the terminal type, the only way I can connect using ANSI is to select no terminal emulation and select ANSI upon connecting to Particles.

I've also tried SyncTERM which renders ANSI graphics, but with the replacement character (a question mark diamond) around the edges of the graphics.

So last night I found another terminal client, which is really nice called Qodem (a copy of Qmodem), it can even render PETSCII. However, in ANSI mode it keeps rendering escape characters instead of the correct ANSI graphics, see screenshots below.

Does anyone know why this is happening, specifically in Qodem?

Phone book:

Particles entry:

Connecting, notice how it can't auto detect ANSI?

Particles login screen, all garbled with escape characters? But why?

Any advice, no matter how small, would be appreciated as this is becoming frustrating. I can connect to Synchronet ANSI BBS's just fine using Qodem, not a problem in the world.

Bulletdust

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:28 am

So I worked it out, you have to make sure terminal emulation is set as XTERM.

As far as PC based terminal emulation software is concerned, Qodem is one of the best packages I've ever used, so fully featured.

Return to “The Lounge”