intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:36 pm

I was showing some folks earlier this week a few of my original big-box Lucasfilm classics for Amiga. I'd just finished Indiana Jones the week before and had decided my son and I would focus on Monkey Island next. I've never finished that game to the end. (I know! I know!)

Someone with a very keen eye asked me what the heck was going on with that sticker, and the IBM text we could see through the sticker in the lower-left?
ETmpqxHUcAAkUTr-1.jpg

With my heart in my throat I quickly ran to the box and snatched it up, pulling it close to my face. Had someone fooled me at some point and rebranded my box with an Amiga sticker taken off some other box? What the ...? I racked my brain and recalled the man I got it from was in California. He'd had that game (I was told) since back in the day. It even included his original maps and notes he'd made all those years ago when he was but a wee lad.
ETmpqxJUcAIFHvt-1.jpg

Anyway I took a hard look at that Amiga sticker. To my dread and shock, it was true. I could see "IBM" underneath my sticker!

But then... I grabbed my Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis box and took a closer look there, too.
IMG_6416.jpg

And then Monkey Island 2.
IMG_6417.jpg

And that's when it dawned on me. All of the Lucasfilm Games - or at least most - had IBM printed on every single original box. This would have been a savvy cost-saving tactic by them since most of their sales, realistically, would have been for PCs. Then, when a different platform needed a box, those all got stickers. And over the many years those stickers have started to become transluscent.
IMG_6418.jpg

All this time it was right in front of me and it never dawned on me.
Hah!

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:25 pm

Ha , that must of been a scary experience. Right, so the question is, do you replace these stickers? Shall we look good or do we need to keep the value? I don’t think we can have both.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:32 pm

I'm leaving them exactly as is. They're legit.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:02 pm

I worked at Babbage's back in high school in the '80s, and I remember the stickers on the Amiga boxes. We were allowed to, as employees, check out software like a library to test it out so that we could discuss features of the applications, utilities, games, etc., with customers. We could borrow the software for two days, then had to bring it back, intact, and then re-shrink wrap it with the shrink-wrap dispenser and heat gun in the back office. I think that I saw that with other software publishers, as well, if I remember right, and even on Commodore 64 software that shared a game title with the PC. I'd be lying if I said I didn't try to copy any piece of software I got my hands on (even though most of the time it was unsuccessful due to copy protection) from the store :)

morningstar

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:16 pm

This thread is really making me nostalgic :D

Return to “The Lounge”