intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:32 pm

I'm finishing up a project (the machine on the right) I can't wait to show you all.
Just waiting for some monitors (plural) to arrive so I can determine the best fit - for me.

More soon.
IMG_7301.jpg

walldog

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:12 am

Oh I love Amiga setup pictures... Soooo nice... I have been trying to figure out if you swap out Amiga's, use primarily two or have others setup around office. This topic interests me as I am TIGHT on space for my Amiga's.. Actually for like say 2 years I was unable to setup any retro battlestation. Problem since resolved but I do budget space...

Another way to put it is deciding which kids to love the most...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:42 pm

I currently use 2 Amigas at a time. This was very difficult for me, as it forced me to put away my Amiga 1000 for now. I had the same conflict when I took the A2000 down. One side of my room is 2 Amigas. The other side of the room is 2 8its: A C64 (Reloaded MK2, Mechboard, new case) and a C128D. I can never pull those down, so I'm always rotating the Amigas. Four machines being able to be used in a moment's notice is a luxury. I wish I could do 6, though. I just don't have the room for that. So, rotations.

I realize fully these are first world problems. But I kid you not I stood around for nearly 30 minutes Saturday night tortured over what to do.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:55 am

Ahhh... yes! I love those kind of stylish photos. :)

walldog

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:36 am

intric8 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:42 pm
I currently use 2 Amigas at a time. This was very difficult for me, as it forced me to put away my Amiga 1000 for now. I had the same conflict when I took the A2000 down. One side of my room is 2 Amigas. The other side of the room is 2 8its: A C64 (Reloaded MK2, Mechboard, new case) and a C128D. I can never pull those down, so I'm always rotating the Amigas. Four machines being able to be used in a moment's notice is a luxury. I wish I could do 6, though. I just don't have the room for that. So, rotations.

I realize fully these are first world problems. But I kid you not I stood around for nearly 30 minutes Saturday night tortured over what to do.
Ok so the mystery is solved! New mystery is how do you decide which kids you love the most? This interests me as I am no longer able to setup all my retro computers and Amiga's My current..

On Desk
A500, A590 500bm Quantum Hard drive, 28mhz Supra turbo accelerator, ICD AdRam540, rev 5a mb 1mb chip ram, 1084 Monitor and Iomega zip drive. Workbench 1.3 with cool icons and Amidoc thanks to Amiga Love. Love this machine and is daily Amiga Driver

C64 with ultimate I1541II and wifi modem and Comet modem (go back and forth). 1702 monitor. 1541 floppies with one modded as drive 9

Windows 7 pc (blah), windows 98 gaming pc (share with kvm switch monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Windows 7 pc has Amiga explorer connected to Amiga for file transfer

Work Laptop (for last 4 weeks or so).. uhhhh... Replaced spot for Tandy

On shelf or in boxes

Tandy 1000hx with upgrades
Amiga 1000 with Spirit board 2mb ram (awaits upgrades)
Amiga 1200 with various upgrades (actually the best from a capability stand point AGA etc. ) runs 1.3 themed Amiga classic workbench 3.1
Apple IIGS with 8mb ram and CF hard drive
Amiga 500 rev 6 MB with 1mb chip ram. Vampire V2 installed running coffin OS.

I wish I could get them all setup...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 am

I love the look of the stacked tower of the iigs when coupled with an original iigs monitor. Just gorgeous, dripping with nostalgia.

Out of all the 80's Apples/Macs, if I were to pick it would be the iigs and the se/30. Once you step beyond the iigs, next up for me is the Quadra 700, designed by Frog Design in SF. So gorgeous with those iconic vent lines.

I was always a C64 guy back then (got really hard core into it in 9th grade), but in high school I was on the school newspaper (Journalism class). In 10th grade, my first year in HS and on the paper, we used some archaic typesetting machine only the teacher, Mrs. Forehand, knew how to use. We had to print out the stories and literally glue-stick them to large special paper the print house used during the transfer. All those ads with little black boxes around them? X-acto blades and black-line tape. Very tedious.

Year two (11th grade) the whole department upgraded to b/w Macs. One we called "Mother" as she had a massive 20MB hdd the a computer sat on top of. It was HEAVEN. It felt so futuristic and made my C64's text capabilities feel... like it came from a cave. That being said, even then my games blew the Mac away. But it's text capabilities were - at the time - stunning. So perfect and crisp. You kind of saw right then and there that by the late 1980s PRINT was the killer app. Hard to imagine in 2020, but it's true. PRINT really was the killer app, and the C= 8-bits were getting left behind in the dust.

rpiguy9907

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:16 am

I produced two school newspapers using Newsroom on the C64! What a tedious exercise. My young brain didn't even think about the most efficient workflow (would have been much better had I done each page as a separate file/project). Instead I brought the 64 to its knees with a long newsletter, full of clip art, that took hours just to print :lol:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:03 am

@rpiguy9907 that's fascinating to me. My high school - 3 grades - had over 2K students! It was massive. Our paper was a true small-format paper more akin to the free rags you see around town (at least we used to). I've got a small stack of them somewhere that my mom saved all those years ago. My senior year, I became the Entertainment Editor, which was total pure self indulgence. No more going to the school board meetings and recording WTF they were saying I totally didn't care about or really understand.

Nope, it was read Stephen King and review it. Get the latest New Order album and review it. It was awesome!

But yeah - full-on newspaper design at high school. It felt like the real deal. We even took a 1 week trip to NY (I was in Arlington, TX) to go to Colombia University and attend a few classes at their prestigious journalism school. It was dreamy.

I remember buying a Gucci watch on the street out of some guy's suitcase. For $20!

I was so proud of myself. I thought, "Man who cares if this was stolen. $20!" Kids hovered around my wrist as I flashed it back and forth. "Oooh, nice one, Eric."

It stopped ticking on the airplane ride home. Total cheap knock-off. Hah!!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri May 01, 2020 11:54 am

Awesome stories! Gucci watch for $20! I would have fell for that too. hahaha

Even though I live semi close to Silicon Valley in a city that always had a good budget, especially for the schools, we had a totally pathetic computer lab. Our Computer lab consisted of 2 TRS-80 Model IIIs, 2 Commodore PETs, 4032s or something like that. I know they were green phosphor CRTs. I don't even know where they kept the disk drive for them. It wasn't near the computers. We also had a couple miscellaneous terminal type computers. This was from 1983-1987 (9th-12th). It did not get much of an upgrade while I was there. No Macs at all. The only Apple IIs we had were in the Library, of all places. We had exactly 2, Apple II+s. with disk drives and green CRT. It really was pathetic.

Yeah so my C64 was way more usable then anything we had at school. I do not even know how they produced the School Paper. Probably from some old hand-me-down typesetter.

Return to “The Lounge”