Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:00 pm

Did you give it a good restart? If you had used Amiga Explorer prior it may have kept the port open and caused issues there. Though I've never seen that message before.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Yeah, I rebooted both machines. Not sure what's up. TCPSER isn't "seeing" the serial port for some reason. I was thinking I could go the fozztexx route, but that's a whole other ball of wax because it requires compiling the code to build the EXE with all of his bug fixes. The compiled version isn't online anywhere from what I've been able to determine. I'd need to install and configure a bunch of other stuff to get that going.

I may see about getting the much more recent version of cygwin (2.5.2) and see if that makes a difference.

Hail Mary, if that doesn't work, is to compile FozzTexx's code, though. That'll take a bit of time.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:56 pm

I should point out I tried ttys0, and 1-6 (even though I know it's on com 1). Seems like the most logical place for this to break but that's not it.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Did you try my personal files?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:13 pm

For tcpser? I grabbed it (and the dll file) via the link in your article, which pointed to Jim Brain's code. That included the compiled exe file I needed.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:15 pm

In fact, your personal-use TCPSER download link breaks. Looking into why...

UPDATE: Fixed.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Getting closer...

I used your batch of files this time. I think I may have been missing some of the src files, although I'm not sure why that would matter. Regardless, it seems to have done something on the PC. At least, the Terminal window doesn't crash anymore. So that's progress.

When I'm in A-Talk, the calls time out. I used your phone-number aliases the first time. Then, I used AT commands (which you can use in Dial window, and simply type ATDT particlesbbs.dyndns.org:6400). AT commands in that little window work the same way as your phone number aliases. But those time out, too.

Somewhere there must be a setting that's not 100% perfect (and I changed the Prefs for my Serial connection in WB, too). Still poking...

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:28 pm

You shouldn't need the AT commands in the dial menu. I could connect just using the address itself. Besides the Workbench settings, when you do the settings inside A-Talk make sure to save them. Also, besides trying for Particles, "call" the computer you have the serial cable hooked up to. Find out the IP address and type that into the call menu. If the settings are correct it should say that the line is busy.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:29 pm

After fiddling with some of the A-Talk iii settings, I've gotten it to work. I successfully connected to 2 different BBS's. Very cool!

The colors/graphics are a little whacked, but that's not really a big deal. I may customize my palette later as pure white seems to generate a little bit of bleed on my screen.

In any case, good to go! Now if I can get a petscii terminal running, I think I'll have covered all of my bases. :)
Attachments
IMG_6794.JPG
Connected to Particles BBS via null modem cable, PC running TCPSER and A-Talk on the Amiga

IMG_6795.JPG
Catching up on the 'Amiga Chat' sub-board on Particles BBS.

IMG_6792.JPG
Level 29 BBS main menu

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Hell yeah! Congratulations! To you for getting through it, and for me for not making a completely unusable guide! haha

Return to “The Lounge”