Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:46 pm

How about an added little something for this thread? I feel it fits in nicely with showing off the rigs but would be quite a lonely topic on its own. Besides just showing off the current set up... Does anyone out there have any old pics of using Commodore equipment back in the day?

Earlier I showed my father in front of our 1960 Commodore monitor, him playing Railroad Tycoon. But I was thinking, man, that's not exactly the most flattering picture of my dad... It was hard to get his picture, he was the photographer that was never in a photo. So often times I was sent in with a point and click camera to surprise him. My mother also feared if he knew a picture was being taken of him it would result in him picking his nose or doing something silly.

My job was to have the flash ready, go in, say hey dad!, have him look over, take the picture! While I cherish that picture because its him in front of the Amiga and I see the game he's playing; he does look a little pissed off doesn't he? lol . So here are some relevant pics of either my dad or me gaming throughout the years... It won't "all" be Commodore related, but a lot of it will.

^ Top left; My dad, joystick in hand, playing unknown PC game. Top right, me, watching my dad playing on the Amiga. Notice Joystick on desk. Bottom left, me with my Amiga Wing Commander manual. Bottom right; My sister next to our C64, hooked up to b/w TV and an original VIC=1541 white drive (no idea what happened to that)

^Top left; Me on the NES playing Battletoads... Yuck... Top right, Dad playing PGA Tour Golf II on the Genesis. Bottom; Me, sick, with a Mario balloon.

alterus
Victoria, BC

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Awesome to see your guys setups! I've been collecting and repairing Commodore gear for years, so I have a bunch of stuff in storage, that mostly comes out when we put on a retro games night or Vic 64 meetup here in Victoria. So my personal setup at home changes around quite a bit, as I like to give everything some use and time to "live" again. I hear its also good for the machines to have the electric juices flowing through them every so often, to keep the caps alive, etc. So here are some pics of my current home setup, which includes an Amiga A600, a C64G with WiFi modem and 1541 Ultimate 2, a Vectrex with VecMulti cart, an SX-64 which I bring out every once in awhile, and Centronian BBS, which is currently running on a C64R, 1541 Ultimate 2, SD2IEC and a supporting Raspberry Pi. At work I also have a C64R with Flyer modem, 64NIC+, 1541, Okimate 20 printer and, most importantly, a SIDFX for listening to SID tunes while I work!

Main home gaming setup:

SX-64 out of hiding:

Centronian BBS:

Here is my work setup:

With the awesome SIDFX:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:08 pm

@Alterus that collection is jaw-dropping! I love your main gaming station (and Montezuma's Revenge is one of my all-time favorites). Amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:30 pm

I wanted the share a picture of my newest, current daily driver Amiga.
2000_rb.jpg
Amiga 2000

It's not easy to see what I've typed on the screen (which I did for a contest on RetroBattlestations today) so I've typed it here in all of its nerdy glory.
Picard: Data, please tell us about this computer.

Data: Of course, Captain. The following RetroBattlestation includes:
  • Amiga 2000
  • 2MB Chip RAM (MegAChip, upgraded Agnus)
  • WB/KS 1.3
  • SCSI Card +8 MB RAM
  • 52MB SCSI HDD
  • Dual Floppy
  • 44MB SyQuest Drive
  • Princeton Graphics 16" multiscan/multisync monitor
  • Original Commodore A10 Stereo Speakers
  • B...
Picard: That will be all Data, thank you.
I am loving this machine. My other 2000 is currently mostly dead. It may wind up being a very impressive pile of future parts and upgrades but I haven't given up on it entirely just yet. For this machine, however, I just received a new silent fan which I will install this weekend, and I am awaiting a battery replacement which I hope to solder onto the motherboard in the next 2-3 weeks. I have all of the tools necessary to get the job done, and frankly would really like to get the clock working again. The board was damaged but I believe I've repaired it completely.

Of course, the HDD is nearly 30 years old, so I worry about it and should find a way to back it up (maybe Amiga Explorer?). I need to do something about that to prepare for the inevitable. I wish someone made a CF option for the 2000 like they do the "console" Amigas. Maybe if I got an IDE adapter for the SCSI card, or SCSI to IDE bridge, I could go that route...

Bulletdust

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Love this!

I've got one of the transparent C64 cases, just waiting for another batch of C64 reloaded motherboards so I can make a complete machine out of it.

Return to “The Lounge”