intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:29 am

mrbill.png
"mrbill" takes his high-school senior picture with his old Amiga 1000 keyboard.

This is probably one of my favorite Amiga-related stories that I came across in 2016. It’s about a guy who goes by the moniker “mrbill” from Oklahoma who, in 1993, decided to take one of his senior pictures with his Amiga 1000 keyboard. He admits that by 1993 the machine was fairly dated. But the story of how and why he decided to do it is amazing. He saved and bought an Atari 520ST and a modem so he could connect to some BBSes, but ultimately would hang out in a particular Amiga sub-forum because it was more active.
The regulars in the subforum took pity on me, and eventually they all got together, pooled money and equipment, and then called my mom in secret. "Ma'am, you don't know us, we're a bunch of people who know your son online, and we think he needs a better computer than that Atari he's got. Would it be OK with you if we sent him an Amiga? It's not the very latest model, but it's good enough and we think he'll like it. He has lots of potential but needs better gear."
Mom was surprised, got all their info, talked to more than one of the guys, and finally told them "Sure". So, eventually, one day I came home to a VERY LARGE BOX in the middle of the living room floor. Mom said "Go ahead, open it."
Check out the entire story on the mechanical keyboards subreddit. Then you’ll understand and appreciate that senior photo even more.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:36 pm

haha! What a fantastic story! While perhaps a fault in some areas of life (speaking for myself at least), kindness is not always the nerds best friend... Except with fellow nerds, who can be so great to one another.

Return to “The Lounge”