intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:07 am

Check out the intro and quick demo video by Lukas Hartmann, founder of MNT, for his new "ReTargetable Graphics" (RTG) video card for Zorro II/III machines.

The new card is for Amiga 2000, 3000 and 4000 machines and will provide high resolution DVI-D/HDMI capabilities. And, even more interestingly, it is completely open source.

Hartmann explained further on Hacker News:
All OS friendly Workbench/Intuition GUIs can then be used on a high resolution (up to 1280x720@60hz, 1920x1080@30hz) and color depths of 8 (Palette), 16 or 32 bit. A bunch of open source games like Doom, Abuse, ScummVM have been ported as system friendly applications, too, so these run fine. Old games that bang the hardware still go through the custom chipset of the Amiga and are output through the 15khz RGB connector, not via my card. But I'm currently working on an expansion that scan-doubles and upscales the classic video output, too.
The card is available for pre-orders. It costs €189.00 (incl. 19% VAT, plus shipping).
Attachments
va2000_production.jpg
Image of MNT VA2000 Amiga Graphics Card. Photo credit MNT.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:59 am

Fantastic! A new card cheaper then what the 23 year old cards are going for. I like that it has a MicroSD card slot to for mounting files on a card on the desktop. The only bummer thing is that I have a stock A2000 and it requires at least a 68020 which only makes sense because RTG graphics are little beyond the stock power of the Amiga 2000.

Return to “The Lounge”