intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:43 pm

One of my new favorite C64/PETSCII BBSes these days is called Afterlife based out of NYC. It's run by sysop Alwyz, a regular found on many of the boards out there including AmigaLove favorites Particles and Centronian. The board is heavily modded and customized.

If you're into BBSing on your Amiga or C64 or some other retro computers that can hit a telnet address, here's how you can connect:

Address: afterlife.dynu.com
Port: 6400

Afterlife is supported by:

Hardware: C64 - Swiftlink - uIEC - 1581
BBS Software: Color64 v8 Alwyz Edition
Website/Blog: http://1200baud.wordpress.com
IMG_6969.JPG
Afterlife BBS by Alwyz

The BBS is extremely user-friendly and very easy on the eyes. In addition, Alwyz is a very talented coder and has even picked up the torch to modernize the C64 terminal program CCGMS, which is my own personal favorite. He released CCGMS 2017 Final for download earlier this year. Very cool stuff and worth checking out! If you still have an old C64 (or are thinking of getting one soon) he also shows you how to build your own 9600 Baud C64 WiFi Modem For $10 if you're curious about getting your old machine "online" but don't want to invest in pricey hardware.

Back to the fabulous Afterlife BBS. It includes software downloads, games, and even a huge vault of fairly creative PETSCII art. It contains an index of literally hundreds of images. Apparently it used to be 4X larger but many of the files were lost at some stage. Regardless, you can scroll through page after page of image titles to see what might pique your interest.

And then I came across this hilarious image. In case it isn't entirely clear, there's a woman in a bathtub and a dude in snorkel gear, well, snorkeling. Obviously. If you've ever seen the 80s ski comedy Hot Dog - sort of an Animal House on skis - a certain hilarious jacuzzi scene should come to mind.
IMG_6971.JPG
Of course, the guy's mouth is on the snorkel. So I'm not too sure what he's up to. . . :)

The Board is solid, folks (no pun intended). Check it out!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 am

Looks like one I'll have to check out!

Return to “The Lounge”