intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Amiga: Virtual modem for ESP8266 by Paul Rickards

Rickards:
ESP8266 is a tiny MCU module with WIFI. It already contains a virtual modem firmware by factory but I wanted to make one myself to support a wider range of baud rates. For example Commodore 64 requires 2400 or lower. Now it is also possible to add additional features in the future because this is open source. For example, translation tables for different character sets or file transfer protocol conversions on the fly with help of a buffer in MCU memory.

Default Baud rate is defined in the code as 300. 2400 is safe for C64 and 19200 for any PC and Amiga. 115200 for PC's with "new" 16550 UART. You must always have that default rate on the terminal when powering on. After giving a command for a higher rate nothing is replied, just switch to the new baud rate in your terminal as well. Then you can give next command in the new baud rate.
Read the entire doc to fully grasp all of the features and functionality.

Commodore 64 (C64):
 Strikelink C64 300-9600 Baud WiFi by Alwyz

Alwyz is the sysop of the C64 BBS Afterlife, and is also the developer of the simply fantastic terminal program CCGMS. CCGMS 2017 v4 is the most recent version as of this writing. New builds and bug fixes seem to pour out on a near-monthly basis in this actively supported piece of software by Alwyz, keeping C64s online happy and humming.

Alwyz:
My new WiFi modems are here! Use these with CCGMS 2017 v4 and enjoy blazing fast 9600 baud rates on your C64.
They only cost $23. Alwyz is a very cool dude with a sweet BBS. This is one of the the least expensive WiFi options out there for the C64. He’s obviously doing it for the love of the machine and the community.
alwyzmodem.png
Alwyz: Assembled unit shown next to old 1660 case for size and nostalgia purposes

His modem doesn’t have an OLED screen like Jim Drew’s but here’s a pic of the board that slips into the Userport. The lack of a screen helps keep the costs low, which isn't a bad thing for some consumers.

Alwyz takes it a step even further and explains how to build your own 9600 baud C64 WiFi modem For $10.
The esp8266 WiFi Modem design has been really popular with C64 enthusiasts. I’ve been able to get my hands on one, and hack around with some of the available firmware to get 9600 baud working flawlessly. Maybe I should call this unit the “StrikeWiFi”? Anyway, Here’s how to build it.
Pretty cool stuff.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:34 am

UPDATE:
Paul Rickards is currently collecting interest on a 25 pin RS-232 WiFi modem here.

It's a short poll to see what might be the most popular form his modem ultimately takes based on potential customer input.
Attachments
rs-232.jpg
RS-232

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:52 am

This looks cool. As a little history for CCGMS: The original Author is Craig Smith and he open sourced it last year. http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61811

Open Source link:
https://github.com/spathiwa/ccgmsterm

Alwyz made some amazing mods including the UP9600 and CCGMS 2017 with mods by Alwyz. I have always liked CCGMS. It was back then and still is today my goto terminal. 5.5 was the last official version until last year when Craig Smith and others made changes to it. There were a ton of CCGMS modded versions over the years though done by various coders.

The RS-232 modem looks great, I registered my interest. As a side not there is also going to be a WiModem RS232 with OLED screen coming out soon too. It will work on any Amiga/PC with 25 pin serial port.

Exciting stuff still happening in the Commodore Amiga community. It is great.

Return to “The Lounge”