Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:38 am

This is meant for more of a local discussion, could tick off a few people... haha... But I got comment on a guide video I did regarding transfering files from PC to Amiga. Now this is actually the very same video that Intric8, the AmigaLove creator, first commented on. I apparently helped him, I know I've helped others, and I'd never put up a video unless I was proud of it.

Now it's always so hard to gauge people's intent online these days, and with the Amiga especially, since there are lot of lovers in Europe where English is not their native language...Well, frankly you kind of want to kick them in teeth at first glance. Not subscribed to me, doubt he liked the video, did he even watch it? Flat out says it's so much easier just to use a parallel cable and this program, which he linked to...

Now it's just worded in a way that scrunches up my face... And that's his site, it's sort of a no no to go on someones video on YouTube and post direct links to your stuff, especially when you're dismissing their video and pointing people to your recommendation. I'm surprised YouTube did not put it into my spam folder actually... But I said nothing, I in fact clicked on the link, prepared to test the so called much easier way...I mean I always thought my way was pretty easy but let's try out easier!

And right there, as soon as you open up the included readme, nice and big, first page... Requires Workbench 2.0

So you came to my video to link your site because you're way is better, on my video entitled "PC to Amiga Transfers"? It would be one thing if I titled it "PC to Amiga 1200 transfers", but when this parallel port solution requires Workbench 2.0, well, I can't agree and say it's so much easier when the majority of people will crash their computer trying to run that.

And his comment really came off like a guy who thinks he knows everything about the Amiga... Well I was actually pretty nice about it all, I just hey, looks interesting, but it's pretty clear it's not going to work on Workbench 1.3, mine will work on all systems... I guerentee it will work, it's worthy of existing on YouTube, and I'm not meaning to insult you, but it's possible we could both be right, ya know? That my way is in fact a great and indeed the best way in terms of the 500, which we should all care more about, but perhaps your way is a better way for 2.0 and above users... I mean it's not like I didn't mention other methods the other Amiga's can use in that video... It was about getting it to work cheaply... and if I thought anyone out there did it better than me, I simply would not have bothered to have posted it... I'm only here to fill a gap...

Now he sort of responded in a "oh my, I updated my page, but it's still the best way for 2.0 and above users..." but then he made another comment referring to something else I said (and please everyone, in regards to videos people made two years ago, please post a timestamp with your comments, It's not like I post a video every day, but I have no idea the exact moment you're referring to on this 40 minute video made two years ago!) in regards to the speed of the serial port. I said you shouldn't really run the serial pork higher than 19k, you'll have issues... Because I know this... Because I've had issues.... But he's saying no, it was super fast, just look at the reference manual... emmmm

Is it not possible to just believe that perhaps I wouldn't have said what I said unless I had a reason... Does nobody ever stop to think when someone has a differing opinion to them, that maybe hey, ummm... Well I always thought this was true, but this guy seems pretty sure of himself...ummm... Maybe lets approach this in a certain way? Maybe not say you're wrong, it's fast!

Is it always you're right, I'm wrong, or I'm right and you're wrong? Is there nothing else in that video you agreed with me on, that maybe you should have started this conversation saying something nice? If you think I'm wrong, make your own video, this is my video, this my land, and you're on thin ice...

Anyway I posted a massive post to him, no idea if he'll ever read it, don't care... Either he leaves and I win, or he's just being an idiot troll and in that case, no better way to troll a troll than suck them into reading 8 pages of my words! ... Or perhaps he'll read it and understand, garner the respect that should have been gifted to me automatically until I did something to show I didn't deserve it. I talked about a lot, but I wanted to share this one passage, as I feel Intric8 might enjoy, and it also skirts around my strong but as of yet silent opinions regarding a certain kickstarter happening right now.... oh, and my not too subtle feelings regarding some other Amiga forums.... But it's not like they ever come here to see that anyway! I'd almost feel bad about talking behind their backs, if they didn't feel so comfortable talking behind mine :D

"Again, I've run into many issues with the serial port. Perhaps if I clicked this option or did that then it would fly... Fact remains out of the box there are issues with the thing. You might be right, but I have actual quotes from a man involved with the Amiga talking about the serial port issues... and, I won't insult you by saying think again, but I will just ask that you consider what I'm saying here, and that perhaps there's more to dig into. I could be right, I could be wrong, you might be right, but Talin, man who made real software on the Amiga that sold for big bucks... Just be careful, please don't be like those EAB/Lemon people who insult Jim Sachs and act like they know more about the Amiga than him...

They do know more, but they also know nothing at the same time... There's got to be a lot of respect given to someone who really worked on the thing. I mean respect should be given to all until its proven they have none for you. But some people, they deserve awe... Jim Sachs? Awe... Of course the designers of the Amiga once gave their own version of history in the early 90's... In my mind that's the best source for history on the Amiga.. But at the same time it's not all true, and it's coming from the creators mouths! They're having fun, they're joking around, Mitchie the dog was the real creator of the Amiga... Ummm, No... But there's so much truth in there,, from the real people, but don't take everything at face value!

...How many more Amiga documentaries do we need funded by Patreon supporters that just quote Wiki, they use footage they have no rights to use which they stole from someone on YouTube, who stole it from somewhere else... They do no real interviews... No real research.... It's the same video the other guy made a few months ago... Do we really need a book by David Pleasance? Funded by???? Kickstarter... So he can go around and keep trying to convince people he could have saved Commodore, if only everyone in America was not incompetent... Meanwhile these are presented like history, and in fact are ripe with opinion... The Amiga was nothing in America? Cite this please... Interviews... Sales numbers.... How about some opinion, but critical well thinking opinion...

Batman pack good idea for the UK, perhaps not a good idea for America... which was an utterly different market... I do not wish by any means to paint a picture that Commodore in America were great... But they are not as stupid as some people, some people from Commodore even, say... There are axes to grind, there are legacies to create... People really need to eat up more information from some people, less information from others, think for themselves... and at the very least listen to some other views. My views are not dangerous. I am not saying America was more important than Europe, I'm just saying everyone else thinks it was nothing, histories are being written, very badly funded histories by people PBS would never hire in a million years... Reading right from Wikipedia... Only thinking about their experience... They eat up one person like David Pleasance, because they love how he's bold and bashes Commodore... But again, when he goes and he talks to people... Getting paid to be there... Selling books.... There's truth there, but there's BS too, and people want to fund his book that he will then sell you...

Meanwhile Jim Sachs is interviewed and almost breaks down because everyone online shows his games incorrectly in PAL mode... Why is nobody covering this? Why does this not deserve its own book? But we want the head of Commodore UK who says he was the answer, but they wouldn't give it to him... That's done... It's over... The fact is you didn't save Commodore, can you please stop trying to make money massaging the egos of nerds by bashing your former coworkers???? You're done, you're over...

Jim Sachs? Not over, we still have a chance to care... Let's care, let's all realize anyone with this much love for the Amiga has something to teach others. You can teach me, I can teach you, and Talin and Jim Sachs can teach the most intelligent EAB forum member out there a whole hell of a lot! For sure!"

-----
:D I just had to share it... I mean some of you know my opinions regarding the popular opinions of the Amiga in America, but I've only ever so briefly touched on the former head of Commodore U.K. - I don't like him, never have... He's always felt like he had a terrible agenda... I don't understand why so many flock to him without looking deeper... Because he has the guts to bash a dead company which nobody had any problems with bashing when they were alive??? Tell me what makes him so special, because all I hear is "I AM THE GREATEST MAN ALIVE!!!! I WAS IN THE BLACK!!!!!!.... now perhaps this has something to do with a subsidiary company not having much overhead....BUT I WAS IN THE BLACK!!!!!! THEY"RE FOOOLS OVER THERE!!!! FOOOLLS!!!! I TRIED TO BUY IT!!!!! THEY WOULDN"T LET ME HAVE IT!!! I TRIED I TELL YOU!!!! LOVE MEEEEEE!!! LOVE ME DAMMIT!!!!!!"

Ummm, I may have took some slight liberties with those quotes... :D - No, I will not be helping to fund that book.... Man there are classy ways to go about making a living telling your story... For a great example on class, look no further than RJ Mical, who exudes nothing but goodwill in everything he says... He's a little bit of a jokester, embellishes things I'm sure, but is obviously trying to entertain you while telling you a lot of truth. I'd watch him for hours... Kickstart for his book please????? A man going around saying everyone else was stupid, he was a genius, all the while without any doubt, he most certainly failed in the end.... Don't dismiss right away, I'm sure he's got some nice nuggets of truth in there, but...ugh.... I can't help but feel this one man is responsible for so much of the false truths that are online about the Amiga today. He was suit... A suit... And oh yeah this guy loved wearing his suites... The original Amiga team? They liked bringing dogs into the office, sleeping in the office, wearing TShirts to the office... Jim Sachs? Artist, creator... RJ Mical? Big creator.... David Pleasance? "I'M BATMAN!!!!!!!" - Batman on the Amiga.... Cute kids game... FA/18 was packaged with the Amiga 500 in America for awhile along with Textcraft Plus. Do you think maybe we need to stop and think about the differences in the markets? You really think Batman would have gotten 30 year old american computer nerds to rush out to buy the Amiga? Do you think children who had Batman on the NES would care? Good idea for the U.K., but that man.... please everyone, listen but think and factor in other thoughts.... Don't just eat that up...

And those are my two cents on that. Sorry if I offend anyone with my well thought out and logical opinion....

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:24 am

Where to start as there is so much here and that is not always a bad thing.

How about YouTube: Welcome to YouTube and today's internet of trolls. People are shameless and don't care what they say or if it offends anyone. "I'm having my say and to hell with the rest of you." That seems to be an attitude common to people today. It is a selfish attitude and far from showing any humility, IMHO. So as I told my son who started a YouTube channel for Lego Mocs (SP?) you have to have a thick skin and don't respond to the flame baiters.

On transfers: I agree there should be a solution that is doable on ALL versions of Amiga. And usually the Serial port fits that bill. But on the other hand the Parallel port is much faster and with the right driver you can transfer things in far less time. But yeah every Amiga owner is going to believe their way is the best. It seems to me there is no shortage of ego in the Amiga community. When I upgraded to 2.1 I used the PC0: to transfer stuff from 720k IBM formatted DOS disks. Even before that there was CrossDOS.

Which brings up an interesting item. 1.3 vs 2.0+ How many Amiga's are equipped with 2.0 and higher? I think that number could be higher then you think even for A500's. My local dealer was selling 2.0 ROMs and doing upgrades on 500/2000's quite often. I know back in the day I upgraded as did 90% of my A500 and 2000 buddies that I traded games and demos with. I wanted full compatibility so my A500 had the Kickstart switch installed with both 1.3 and 2000 ROMS selectable. 2.0 came on all later model A2000's, 1990+, A3000, A600, A500+ and 3.x of course came on All 1200s and 4000s. So the numbers are significant. Even today I see many threads about people upgrading their 500s to 3.1 ROMs.

That said it still makes sense to have methods for all versions. If you have an A600 or A1200 it makes no sense to use the serial or parallel port but rather the PCMCIA slot with a CF card formatted to FAT for transferring. This is my method now for writing disks on my 1200. I also use this method for the 500 but on my 500 I have an ACA500 that can do the same. So it is just as easy on both. I just prefer the floppy drive on my A1200 as it is newer and quieter.

Regarding Jim Sachs. Can you link me to the resource where he talks about playing on an NTSC and not PAL?

David Pleasance, not a big fan myself. I did not back his book. Is his following mostly UK?

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 am

Thick skin I have, but I can troll with the best of them, and given I think there's a language barrier, it's "possible" it could turn out good in the end... Don't care, I do my thing, watch if you want... But seriously... I have very strong opinions on the Amiga, I in fact know that I'd have no shortage of opportunities to go to so many Amiga videos and say "You're playing this wrong... This should be in 4:3... This is an NTSC game... You suck... Watch my video!"

ummm.... nooo.... The only time I've ever mentioned PAL/NTSC stuff, or any of my big passions, only when the person, whom I probably am already friends with, mentions something like how they think it runs too slow... or looks bad.... At that point I feel it's okay to nicely say, well, it kind of looks and plays a little different in NTSC mode... But I've never been mean about it.

I'd like for more people to care, but I'm also proud to be the only one actively showing this stuff correctly. And I just do it for the most part, only briefly mentioning exactly what you're seeing what you're seeing, I've said my peace on the matter.... But if anyone wants to come face to face with me and insult stuff I put time into... Meanwhile you have exactly... ZERO VIDEOS!!!!! Hey, nobody is perfect, we can all learn from each other, but for someone to just automatically assume that they have nothing to learn from me... and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but Jim Sachs thanked me for showing Defender of the Crown correctly... I'm not the greatest YouTuber on Earth.... I'd hate to be, cause then I'd be making money and then I'd start making bad videos... :D

But I've made my little mark on the Amiga community.... I have made a difference, if only small at the moment... You don't have to like me, but why start off by disrespecting me?

Anyway....

I mean most of the original Amiga's I ponder upon are still running 1.3, 1.2 even! I think a lot of people were a little afraid of that thing... I mean in the U.K., well into the 90's games were coming out requiring 512k ram.... In America it was instant the games required 1mb... I mean if they were not using the backdoor ram, why would they be upgrading the ROM? I know they made plenty of those ROMs to sell, I don't know... I have no personal knowledge form back in the day, my father did not upgrade, in fact my father kept 1.2 in there. I upgraded it to 1.3 - The software and games to the very end were coming out with support for 1.3 - They made sure of that. Everything had to work with the Amiga 500 and 1.2 actually... That was a must to the death of Commodore. The American Word Processors coming out in 1994, they supported 1.2... I mean all signs have always suggested to me that the majority of the actual machines are using good old Blue.

Of course American's were a lot more likely to buy hard drives, even for their 500... But my dad never bought a hard drive... Bought an extra floppy and the extra ram, but that's it in terms of hardware. Feasible there are many more American's running 2.0 or above on their 500's, but I'm sure the Europeans are still running 1.3, and while I don't agree with them thinking America was nothing, I do actually care about the Europeans who love the Amiga and I do consider them... So I would imagine no matter how you look at things, it's still 1.3 in the majority. Love to see some sales numbers on the rom upgrade!

Jim talking about aspect ratios and his art - Jim... Instantly fell for this guy, he's so wonderful to listen to and it's so touching how he appreciates his own art, not in an egotistical way, but just, he's just sad nobody is seeing what he wanted you to see.... And he tells the guy interviewing him about this, who says he's going to make sure that he gets it right... but he didn't.... and it's just so disappointing that he didn't dig deeper on that.... I mean Matt... He's okay, I like him most of the time, I do wish he would prepare better questions sometimes, and then I wish h e would have pursued the whole aspect ratio thing.... but I don't not like Matt, but I... Jim almost broke down.... I did break down when I saw that... And then I made my NTSC VS PAL videos and did a review for Defender of the Crown...

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 am

Oh perfect, now I remember that interview. He was at his castle and working on it. Yeah that is an ok video. I am not a fan of that particular YouTuber as he as well as many other Tubemiesters perpetuate the nonsense and history revision that Amiga was nothing here in the USA. What's funny is most of the people doing these retro documentaries and interviews were either not born yet when the Amiga came out or were little kids who couldn't have possibly known what was going on. I was there when my dad bought an Atari 2600 in 1977, he asked my advice even then because I was very much into games and computers at a young age. I was there when he bought the VIC-20 in 1981 and the C64 in 1983. I went into the store and bought my first A500 with my own money in 1988 and again in 1990 and 1992 (A1200).

I knew all the people in the local areas that were selling Commodore and Amiga stuff. In fact I helped people make choices when I was in my late teens/early 20's purchase Amigas and set them up. I was there and the history that people proclaim as "nobody had an Amiga in the USA" is pure crap. User groups and BBSs were filled with Amiga owners in my area alone. I know my area is not a huge metropolis and my experience is purely anecdotal but it was a way bigger deal then people realize. If it wasn't, why would there be so many places selling software, so many hardware companies in the USA making things for the Amiga. So many software companies with Amiga releases. Would they really have been in business for so long if there were only 300k potential customers? Nah.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:01 am

I've always said I was just a kid as well... The only thing that makes me any different was that I simply have quite a few memories of my dad and going to the stores and seeing other people around him... I just knew what everyone else was saying did not fit right... So I did the best I could to research stuff nobody else seems to care about... I wish Jim had 100 videos, and 1 million subscribers... He's the one that deserves to be the star. Not me, not a lot of them... The only two people I know in real life that could help me to better understand that era, well, my dad died and my uncle had a stroke and his wife never let's him visit the family... Sucks... But that's why I light up when I see Jim talking, Talin, all those people who truly created. Just because you're a business guy does not mean you don't deserve to be heard, I could listen to Jack Tramiel all day and night, he's a wonder... And he's not exactly 100% nice.... But it's the way you present yourself... and Pleasance... There are people that truly love that guy and I just don't get it...

Return to “The Lounge”