TenLeftFingers

Posted Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 am

There are some Amiga games that have aged well even for 2017 and I still enjoy them. Having the original boxes on display takes up a lot of space. So I've been creating labels and putting them on floppies that match the colour scheme where possible.
photo5904766093203974297.jpg
I think next I'd like to design some that cover the entire area of the disk, except for where the cover mechanism needs to be free to move. <3

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:51 pm

I think next I'd like to design some that cover the entire area of the disk,
I think what you've got going on here is superb. Personally, and this is just me, I wouldn't change the size of your stickers (I assume they wrap around the back to fit the entire sticker groove). That's exactly how all games in the U.S. were presented - one complete sticker per disk, created at the factory that way. I'm not sure why European disks were nearly always printed (usually just white or black ink on a blue disk). As a collector, though, I'm so grateful for this difference. It quickly informs me if the disk is (most likely) PAL or NTSC.

The key issue I've seen with stickers these days is there actually being sticky. Most of the stickers that are in my NOS floppy disk boxes just can't handle being wrapped around a floppy anymore - they unglue themselves and pop off. Kind of sucky, unless you apply new glue (which I don't really like to do). I have found one (kinda pricey) option, though, for primo stickers all the way from Japan. I've gotten this pack twice already and just love these. Mine have both been of the baby-blue variety.

I think what you're doing here is awesome looking. It is true the boxes take up a lot of room over time. Unless, of course, you're dealing with the insanely awesome Electronic Arts flat boxes. I plan on posting about those soon, actually. They take very little room, but were mainly the kind found in the mid-80s. You know, before games were printed across 7 disks. :)

TenLeftFingers

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:43 am

intric8 wrote:Personally, and this is just me, I wouldn't change the size of your stickers (I assume they wrap around the back to fit the entire sticker groove).
I have a feeling I'm not going to be satisfied with the result too, but it's one of those things I feel compelled to try :) It would suit better if the floppy was completely flat surfaced too rather than having the grooves that these ones have.
That's exactly how all games in the U.S. were presented - one complete sticker per disk, created at the factory that way. I'm not sure why European disks were nearly always printed (usually just white or black ink on a blue disk).
I had no idea. It surprises me actually, I've heard that the game market was thriving more in Europe. But the floppies were very disappointing here - especially if the box art was really nice.
The key issue I've seen with stickers these days is there actually being sticky.
I've had the problem too. In this case, I bought sheets of A4 adhesives and sent them to print. Then I cut out the individual stickers carefully. The stick well, but when I fold the 'lip' over the top and stick it to the back it often comes away and needs a regular push back into place. Like you, it feels wrong to use glue.
photo_2017-06-13_17-42-08.jpg
It is true the boxes take up a lot of room over time. Unless, of course, you're dealing with the insanely awesome Electronic Arts flat boxes.
I don't know these. The smallest box I've seen is the Batman the Movie one, which is almost half the size of a typical game box and looks very tidy. I'm looking forward to your post now!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:47 pm

The EA flat boxes may have only been a US/Canada thing then. They started on 8-buts and moved over to 16/32 before finally giving up and moving to deeper ines to accommodate more than 2 disks. Shame, really.

Imagine the size of a 12" vinyl EP. Fantastic for cover art and takes little space.

Return to “The Lounge”