LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:13 am

Today is Andy Warhol's birthday. I'm sure quite a few of us know who he is. :)

So what does Andy Warhol have to do with anything? Simple: he was a big Amiga fan.

Andy Warhol and Debbie Harry were invited to the Amiga launch at Lincoln Center in NYC on July 23, 1985. It was there where he demonstrated the artistic capabilities of the system by painting a digital snapshot of Debbie Harry. He's since produced a large amount of work on the Amiga, up until his death in 1987. Most of his work has since been recovered from his floppies and is now viewable in museums and online.
Andy-Warhol-and-Debbie-Harry.jpg
Andy Warhol with Blondie front woman Debbie Harry and an Amiga 1000.

So a big happy birthday to a fellow Amiga fan and user!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:26 am

I was watching somewhere - maybe it was Viva Amiga? - where one of the engineers was praying Warhol wouldn't use a particular paint tool during the demonstration in NYC during the unveiling. It was extremely buggy and not ready for prime time but was still accessible in the user interface. I think it was the paint Fill tool. In any case, the engineer kept trying to move Warhol's attention elsewhere to do different things, but Warhol picked the paint bucket fill tool anyway.

And he used it, live on stage.

And it was during that moment that the Amiga engineer held his breath and gritted his teeth and waited for the inevitable crash. But the machine didn't crash! The engineer let out this huge, overwhelming sigh of relief and the demo continued as if nothing was ever wrong. Warhol, and the audience, was oblivious. Hah!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:30 am

I wouldn't mind getting ahold of one of his drawing tablets. He used GraphiCraft to make his art. I assume Deluxe Paint would support the tablet, too.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 10.28.44 AM.png

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:42 pm

intric8 wrote:I was watching somewhere - maybe it was Viva Amiga? - where one of the engineers was praying Warhol wouldn't use a particular paint tool during the demonstration in NYC during the unveiling. It was extremely buggy and not ready for prime time but was still accessible in the user interface. I think it was the paint Fill tool. In any case, the engineer kept trying to move Warhol's attention elsewhere to do different things, but Warhol picked the paint bucket fill tool anyway.

And he used it, live on stage.

And it was during that moment that the Amiga engineer held his breath and gritted his teeth and waited for the inevitable crash. But the machine didn't crash! The engineer let out this huge, overwhelming sigh of relief and the demo continued as if nothing was ever wrong. Warhol, and the audience, was oblivious. Hah!
That video is on YouTube as well. :)

Return to “The Lounge”