intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Michael died in March from cancer. He had been a member of some Amiga user groups in the Pacific Northwest and would occasionally go to the meetings.

I did not personally know Michael. I think it's extremely possible that someone reading this post did (Pinacolada?), or someone that I chat with on BBSes at night did (Skip?).

His widow, Patty, contacted this site this week. She had a box of his Amiga books that she hoped someone might still want. I'm glad she didn't throw them away as they look pretty rare.

On my day off today with my kids in the car, I drove down to Auburn, WA, to collect Michael's box of Amiga books. They are all hard-core technical reference manuals and very pristine. Manuals he actually used and cherished. From what little I gleaned Michael was a programmer and eventually worked himself up to a high-level position in R&D at Wizards of the Coast. When they learned he had cancer they decided to move south to Auburn and down-size to a single-story home. When their belongings were in a moving "Pod" his Amiga was damaged due to rain, unfortunately. But his books were saved.

"He died too young," Patty said to me. He was only 57 when he died in March.

"He was a huge Amiga lover, too." From what Patty said, he used part of their wedding money to buy his first Amiga. What an amazing guy he must have been. What an amazing woman Patty is and was to have let that happen! Not many like that out there, that's for sure.

I didn't ask any deep probing questions as things still felt too raw. But I do intend on finding these books a good home. And whichever ones I am unable to find a home for nearby I'll sell and donate the funds to a cancer charity in his name.

Michael sounded like a really cool guy. The Amiga community lost a huge fan this year, but we shall not forget.
Attachments
mmartin.jpg
Michael Martin's Amiga book collection.

bigdan

Posted Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 pm

Sad news. He's probably in paradise and speaks with Jay Miner, Dave Needle and other fellow amiga coders !

So sorry for his friends and all his family. RIP !

Pinacolada

Posted Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Unfortunately I don't think I had the pleasure of meeting Michael. :(

Return to “The Lounge”