intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:20 pm

I decided last night to pull down my C64 for a little while. For the past 1.5+ years it has always been on my desk next to whichever Amiga I fancied at the time. I went from an Amiga 1200 to a 2000 and then more recently to a 1000. I simply love the original big box Amigas and I've been struggling between my love for the 1000 and my need for the 2000s ease-of-use and utility.
setup.png
My original C= setup: C64 on the right, which I used for games and BBSing, and Amiga 1200 on the left, which I mainly used for games.

setup-2.JPG
After I got my Amiga 2000(s) I virtually kept the 1200(s) in the closet. I had 2. I've since sold one.

The Amiga 2000 - for me - has been the ultimate Amiga dream come true. It's big, sure, but so what? It allows me to put in old-school cards from BITD to add more RAM, SCSI cards for more hard drives (including an SCSI2SD drive), dual floppies, a working 44MB Syquest drive... it's so versatile and powerful I just love it! And the keyboard rocks, too.

But then I got incredibly lucky and found myself with an Amiga 1000 recently that I've been able to clean up and use daily. Not mentally able to move my C64 off my bench, I lugged the 2000 over to the corner and completely immersed myself in all things 1000.

I have to say, I've got a huge crush for the 1000 these days. The design and simplicity of it is nearly perfect. It's probably one of the prettiest big box retro computers I've ever seen or used. And it's a ton of fun to use, too! I do wish I had a hard drive for it, but finding one of those is like finding the Holy Grail. I do have a lead on one over in Germany but I have to wait and see how that plays out over the coming days and weeks. Fingers crossed.

In any case the 1000 has taken over my BBSing chores recently. My C64 hasn't been idle, though. I've been playing a lot of really great new games on it and have been having a blast. I know I'll need to find a way to get it back soon.

But for right now I'm going to go "Amiga only" for the first time for a little while.

I put the 2000 next to the 1000 and hooked it all up last night. This morning I took a new family portrait.

I wish I could have fit the C64 in the middle in-between them, but there's just not enough room.

But I have to say, this looks pretty freaking cool.
2 amigas.jpg
Two sisters in a new family portrait.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:05 am

That's a beautiful setup. Love the two sisters side by side like that. :)

Now it's making me think about a big box Amiga of my own. A friend of mine wants to give me an Amiga 4000 that needs some fixing up, but that means I need to seriously rearrange my entire office space. I may go with it anyway; I've been meaning to dump the crappy-ass desk I have currently for something much bigger and better. That way, I can have my Amiga 500 for old school stuff and the A4000 for some serious Amiga goodness. :)

Return to “The Lounge”