padawer

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:09 am

Just found this forum as the result of a project that involves creating "1980s"-style videos.

QUICK BACKGROUND (or skip this paragraph): I was an ardent Commodore 64 user long ago (primarily GEOS, QuantumLink, games, and the rest, all of which I remember with great love even 30 years later); I never did make the switch to Amiga — unfortunately, in so many ways — but instead became an early Mac user.

JUMPING TO NOW: I need to create a few obviously-retro videos (with images in boxes that can float around; ever-so-slightly jagged titling; etc.), and I've investigated various Adobe Premiere (and other) filters, but I've concluded that probably nothing would fit the bill better than, perhaps (and this is where someone with expertise here can help me if I'm fortunate enough), than eBay-sourced (?) original Amiga 2000 (?) with a Video Toaster (?) or whatever other gear is recommended.

QUESTIONS: 1) First, does this seem like a reasonable way to proceed? I do have a wonderful working gadget that can digitize VHS media once my work is completed, etc.; and 2) If this is something that, say, you might do yourself in my situation, what kind of available hardware would be recommended?

If you've read down to here, I'm grateful already. Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Hm, well to be honest, if you don't have all of the old gear I'd think getting a complete system up and running that you want to do some video work on would be an unbelievably difficult task - especially if you hadn't done it before.

Frankly I'd see about getting an After Effects filter effect that you can tweak and modify and apply to your footage. I know they make packages of this, and you can get them for about $40. Learning how to apply that would likely take you only a couple of hours. If I were in your shoes, that's where I'd start. There's a really fancy one for $99 (which gives you a 1 year license).

Return to “The Lounge”