intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Today I'd like to show a rather interesting if random part of my Amiga stash: Original tutorials in VHS format for:
  • Advanced Techniques with DeluxePaint IV
  • The DeluxePaint IV Video Guide
IMG_3075.jpg
This isn't something I seeked out for my collection. I happened to actually acquire these in a previous large donation and only pulled them out for inspection until now.
IMG_3074.jpg
The video tutorial box has been opened and likely watched once (it was stopped halfway through). The advanced techniques for DP is still in the original shrink-wrap!
IMG_3077.jpg
These videos were created by a studio in Newport Beach, CA, and published in 1991 in association with Electronic Arts. Each video in 1991 retailed for $29.95 (apx. $54 in 2017 US dollars).

In the beginning of the Video Guide they claim:
This video was produced in just several weeks on an Amiga "desktop" video system which consisted of:
  • 2 Amiga 2000's
  • GVP 68030 board
  • Magni Genlock
  • NewTek Video Toaster
  • MicroSearch ChromaKey
  • Sony EVO-9700 Hi8 editor
  • Sony EVO-9100 Hi8 video camera
IMG_3076.jpg
There is a copy of each video on YouTube these days (Advanced Techniques, Animation) but each are of relatively poor quality. Granted ripping from VHS almost never produces very good results so that might be as good as it gets. But I have contacted a local firm to see what options might be out there to pull these at a higher quality so that I might share them with the Amiga Community. It'd be nice to actually see these videos more clearly, I think. I can barely focus on what's out there today, which is a shame. It would probably be cheaper for me to go get a new VHS deck and just watch them at home, but that would be selfish if I can find a way to share that isn't astronomical.
IMG_3078.jpg

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Wow. That is really neat. Didn't know these existed.

Thanks!

Return to “The Lounge”