Bulletdust

Posted Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Shot97 wrote:Since you asked; I find an incredible amount of enjoyment bringing the most out of Workbench 1.3, being a power user with that operating system when every other power user is strictly running 3.1 and even power PC stuff. Too many people recommending systems that are quickly dwindling in numbers, and they recommend them to people who have absolutely no use for them. I've certainly played with 3.1 in my emulation days. It was fun doing things I never would have dreamed of on a real Amiga... But when I got back into the real Amiga, I really just wanted things to be mostly authentic to what I remembered. I don't mind a bit more memory or a hard drive, but when I see accelerators running it doesn't feel right for me.

I like being around to show people that they can get almost anything 3.1 can give you from 1.3 - That almost all commercial software was either designed for it or at least supported it, and as long as you cruise the Fred Fish archives there's more than enough freeware/shareware for all your power user needs. I'd like to save the 1200's and 4000's for the people who can actually use them to their potential. I could do that, but I'm probably the only one doing certain things with 1.3, and there's no shortage of people doing those things on newer Amiga's... meanwhile regardless of impressions one might get from forums or certain YouTubers, the vast majority of Amiga users are still running 1.3 I believe, so I do my thing for them.
I totally understand this Shot97, I think authenticity is what this is all about and the suitable OS for the era of the machine provides a far better experience. I'm a bit like it in relation to my A1200, I love AmigaOS 3.1, but think that AmigaOS 3.9 was just trying to 'modernize' the platform a little too much.

leighb2282

Posted Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:25 am

Part of my reason for running Workbench 2.05 is that the Amiga A500+ I had when I was a kid had WB2.04, its a pure nostalgia thing for me,
WB2.x does everything I need it to do!
Bulletdust wrote:Any reason why no one runs AmigaOS 3.1 on their OCS/ECS machines?

I ran AmigaOS 3.1 on my A500 with an 030 @ 40Mhz, 128MB of fast ram and 1MB of chip ram with an 8GB CF HDD and it ran every bit as fast as my A1200 with the exception of certain games/demo's that hit the chipset directly.

I still reckon 'bang for buck' the A500 with a few expansions is a ripper machine.

Bulletdust

Posted Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:34 pm

leighb2282 wrote:Part of my reason for running Workbench 2.05 is that the Amiga A500+ I had when I was a kid had WB2.04, its a pure nostalgia thing for me,
WB2.x does everything I need it to do!
Bulletdust wrote:Any reason why no one runs AmigaOS 3.1 on their OCS/ECS machines?

I ran AmigaOS 3.1 on my A500 with an 030 @ 40Mhz, 128MB of fast ram and 1MB of chip ram with an 8GB CF HDD and it ran every bit as fast as my A1200 with the exception of certain games/demo's that hit the chipset directly.

I still reckon 'bang for buck' the A500 with a few expansions is a ripper machine.
WB 2.x is a very capable OS. It's funny, sitting in the middle the way it does I tend to forget about it!

Oh how I longed for an A590 in the day....

Here's a screenshot of my A500 in Superplus 800x600 mode with 16 colours:

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:46 am

I found this 3.1 Workbench today, what I'd like to know is how did he get all those meters displayed in Tiny Meter like that?! Because try as I might I just cannot get Tiny Meter to display all that information correctly.

https://exthema.io/2016/10/

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:53 am

Here's a slightly older screengrab of my AmigaOS 3.9 setup (currently residing in FS-UAE until my Amiga 4000 gets recapped):

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm

I really like all these colourful setups.
Since I have a somewhat limited Amiga - although it's a 030 - I went for a minimalistic approach.
The WB feels like having 4 colours: dark grey, light grey and the MagicWB-brown.
Of course it's actually more colours (16 I think) but feels like that.
On the other hand it boots quick, feels quick does what it should.
And has only 17.2mb, although a few programs are missing.
Such as a program to take a screenshot :D.
I'll try to take one during the week.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 pm

@ McTrinsic, if you're in the market for a screengrabber, I made one from eons ago available in this discussion called, "Grabbit."

You still have to stretch the IFF files into 4:30 after the fact. But it gets it pixel perfect. Although it's probably easier just to take a photo. ;)

Bulletdust

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 pm

You can see the icon on my Workbench shot, I use SGrab for taking screen shots. But by the tie you resize due to me using an Indivision it's easier to just take a photo!

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 am

Heh, I used SGrab to take my screenshot as well! I then converted the resulting IFF to PNG to send up to Aminet! :)

Bulletdust

Posted Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 pm

LambdaCalculus wrote:Heh, I used SGrab to take my screenshot as well! I then converted the resulting IFF to PNG to send up to Aminet! :)
SGrab works well, the only thing is I have to resize the image using GIMP, I think it's because I use an Indivision to scale my Workbench to 1280 x 1024 and SGrab naturally takes a screen shot at the Amiga's native resolution - But once scaled the results are pixel perfect and impressive!

Here's an example of the results taking a screen shot using SGrab:

Return to “The Lounge”