Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Have you seen this ITX motherboard that aims to be Amiga compatible? It is a DIY project with lots of little fine SMD soldering required but hey it looks pretty cool. Has two Zorro II slots, uses Amiga chips, floppy drives, PS/2 keyboard/mouse, VGA, etc. The details are here:

http://www.amy-itx.com

It is on Pre-order right now and is 65 Euros for the PCB. You provide the chips, soldering, etc. I was tempted but I don't need another project computer right now.

I guess there was already one batch that sold out and this is possibly the last batch.

Curious to hear what you think of it.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 pm

I heard about this little board a week or two ago (maybe on Reddit?). It does sound really, really cool. It's so small! I feel like I remember that logo from a while back, too (maybe the 1st run?). Sort of like the GBA1000 but a lot more tidy and compact. I think the original concepts of this date back over a dozen years or so.

But yeah. I'm with you - I've too many other projects that are keeping me busy these days. Maybe some day I'll see one at a Retro Computing conference so I can geek out on one in person. Really cool concept, though. If it's good enough for Dave Haynie... :)

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:52 am

I'm stoked to get one of these! I might make her be as close as I can get to performing like an Amiga 2000! :)
ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg
Me right now :P

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:36 am

LambdaCalculus wrote:I'm stoked to get one of these! I might make her be as close as I can get to performing like an Amiga 2000! :)
Cool! I hope you do a thread here to document your build as this is really a cool project.

I was soooo tempted, but if I start another computer project, without first finishing and thinning down my other systems, well let's just say that my stuff is going to be living on the porch and me soon after. :lol: The Fresh Prince song was wrong; Parent's do understand. But wife's don't.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 am

and thinning down my other systems
Totally. I literally sold my A500 just this week. It had mostly been sitting in its original box for the past year. I think I used it a total of 6 or fewer times, all for testing purposes. It was time to let someone else enjoy it and have some awesome future projects with it (I know what's planned for the old girl, and it is going to turn into something amazing).

Of course, the day after agreements were made the A1200NET guys announce their new Kickstarter plans for A500 cases. That was one of the major issues with mine. It was very yellow - almost orange. ;) But mattsoft will fix her up in no time. He's a retro-computer restoration machine!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Cool, at least it went to a fellow Amiga dude. I have way too many computers, including Amigas, Macs and C64s. I need to slim it down to about half of what I have. I just recapped a PAL A1200, so that maybe one to go, not sure yet as I like to keep at least one backup of the models. But I do have a couple A500s that I repaired that can probably find new homes.

In regards to the Amy-ITX, I am glad someone on here is buying one so at least we can learn and read all about it from their experience.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks, Zippy Zapp! I'm probably going to have to piecemeal the assembly of the board (and it may take a while, as I also have the Amiga 4000 recapping that needs to be done!), but I do want to work on this as well! This and the Atari 1088XEL project are two big projects I'll be working on!

icbrkr
Particles! BBS

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 pm

I'll probably end up picking one of these up. I'm a fan of soldering things together, and since the CP/M machine I built actually worked, this should be pretty easy.

Been looking at this and the Sinclair Spectrum board that's out there too.

Return to “The Lounge”