intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:33 pm

My family and I went to a winter resort this week. The kids were out of school so we opted to go to a place over the Cascades called Suncadia where you can go cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, ice skating, sledding and tubing in the winter time. The place is almost guaranteed to have big fluffy snow this time of year.
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 7.54.52 PM.png
In-between the activities, there's a lot of recovery time (i.e. naps and chillin'). And for me, away from the Amigas, it was finally a chance to deep-dive into Thimbleweed Park - the highly praised, awarded and pixelated point-and-click adventure from 2017 by Ron Gilbert.

I'm a touch over 3 hours in and having a total blast. I'm almost 1/2 way through one of the FBI agents' checklists of things to complete. Which, in reality, means I'm probably another good 9-10 hours away from figuring this game out with no cheating. But the cool thing so far is most of the early puzzles seem really logical. I'm not clicking on random crap for no good reason like some of the older games. These events make sense and the story so far is really excellent. I think Monkey Island may have finally met its equal, no joke.
Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 6.16.59 PM.png
And when I met the character who wanted to become a game designer at MucasPhlem (i.e. LucasFilm) Games, I knew I was in the right place. I even had to submit my application on my Commodore 64 system in the game! So awesome.
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 2.20.31 PM.png
By the way, if any of you are playing or have played Thimbleweed Park - fire it back up and give me a call at 8083 on your satellite phone in the game. You'll hear a voicemail I recorded during the Kickstarter... and I even mention my VW Camper Van! (The rest is all game related stuff I was told to say without a clue as to what it all might mean.)
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 8.02.24 PM.png

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 pm

This really cool stuff.
Especially the snow :D.
I'll be skiing with the family during the week of easter. It's always such a great time. Have fun and enjoy it.

Back then I did see the the TW Kickstarter but alread grew weary of of those. Seems I have been missing something.

After backing the Shadowrun Returns campaigns, Paper Sorcerer, Shroud of the Avatar, Pillars of Eternity and especially the Double fine adventure and Elite campaigns I felt like having sunk too much money in these games.
Some of them were awesome. Others I didn't even play such as Elite or Double fine adventure. And others weren't even released such as Shroud of the Avatar.
Oh well. I am already back with Bards Tale IV and the System Shock remake.

Glad to see you have fun.
Enjoy the snow and the family!!

Pinacolada

Posted Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Hey, cool. My family and I lived in South Cle Elum running a bed and breakfast now called The Iron Horse Inn by its current owners. I love the screenshots of Thimbleweed Park, that looks like a lot of fun!

icbrkr
Particles! BBS

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Wow... I guess I hadn't been following Thimbleweed.

I swear that looks like a SCUMM game... or is it? It would be awesome to play it on some old school systems if it were.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:14 pm

It's based on the same engine but my understanding is it was rewritten from the ground up "they way they wished they could have done originally". It's really quite great. I've not finished the game, but it's a lot of fun. Plays on Mac, PC, and Nintendo Switch. I think it was so well-received, that dev group may have something new cooking soon. I'd be down for a new Indiana Jones adventure!

Bulletdust

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:36 pm

That looks awesome! I wish you could play it on Android....

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:07 am

Bulletdust wrote:That looks awesome! I wish you could play it on Android....
Ask and ye shall receive... ;)

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:23 am

LambdaCalculus wrote:
Bulletdust wrote:That looks awesome! I wish you could play it on Android....
Ask and ye shall receive... ;)
Hell yes! Downloading now. Cheers my friend!

Return to “The Lounge”