Bulletdust

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 am

Thought you guys might be interested in a couple of snaps I took at out local AUG (Amiga User Group) meet, a bunch of old geeks but fun nonetheless!

My breadbin C64, 1541, 1541 UII+ and numerous other bits and pieces all packed up and ready to go!

This Rev 6A A500 was running 2MB chip ram with Obese Agnus and a vampire accelerator. I don't know what this game was but it was amazing! The Vampire is an impressive bit of kit, that A500 for all intents and purposes felt every bit as fact as a modern PC.

A2000HD running a Vampire V2.

A500 playing Foundation, another impressive RTG title and the A2000HD playing Duke Nukem at very impressive resolutions and frame rates.

A500 receiving a Vampire overclocked core update.

More A500 updating.

And more A500 updating...

A2000HD innards.

Another shot of the room, we're a small group but it's so good to be around like minded enthusiasts!

Here you go intric8, I took this shot just for you. A Phoenix equipped A1000!

All in all a great night. The A500 with 2MB chip ram mod is playing up, we can't get graphics via the OCS custom chipset but the Vampire is picking up all 2MB of chip ram and running fine with RTG graphics. We tried swapping Denise for an ECS Denise with no luck, we tried removing the Vampire and reinstalling the 68000 with no luck and we tried a replacement OCS Denise with no luck - Not too sure whats going on there and we didn't have a scope. One of the guys is taking the machine hope to set up on his bench and check the address lines with a scope to see if anything's sticking high.

Got an AUG in your area? I recommend joining one, it's like an old boys night out!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 am

Oh man thanks so much for sharing this, Bulletdust! Looks like you guys had a great time.
Got an AUG in your area? I recommend joining one, it's like an old boys night out!
I wish we had an official one here in Seattle, and I've been thinking of creating one. Even if we only met once every 1-2 months, I think that would be spectacular.

Of course, what I'm really saying is I'd be creating a space for me, mattsoft and maybe robdaemon (and a couple others?) to get together and geek out with Amigas and beers for a few hours. That would be fun.

My issue thus far has been to find an official meeting space. I think - I think - I could use my office. I just haven't asked my boss (who I sit right next to). He's an old Atari guy and he kinda gets our hobby.

Thanks for the pics! Very cool. Is this your website?

(P.S. I'm sort of an half-member of the Brisbane user group - it was via a member there that I acquired the Phoenix.)

Bulletdust

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:43 pm

That's the website Intric8.

We all put in $2.00 per couple of hours attendance at the meet to go towards the hiring of the venue, I always pay $4.00 per couple of hours as it's such a great night out.

The problem with going to such meetings is that now I want a Vampire for my A500.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Bulletdust wrote: Got an AUG in your area? I recommend joining one, it's like an old boys night out!
There's one right in my area, hosted by two of the coolest dudes on YouTube: Westchester Amiga Users Group! :D
WAUGlogo2.jpg
REPRESENT!!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 pm

I do love that old logo. The black and white aliased edges with tiny lines and details reminds me of the b/w Mac screens. Very old-school paper newsletter-y. So good.

mattsoft

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 pm

We so need a SAUG.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:56 pm

@mattsoft

I know!

I actually started investigating a potential name for one. I've eliminated "SAUG", though. . .

Did you know "saug", taken from old high German, means "to suck"? Hah! That's no good.

The current acronym I'm leaning toward is SCUG, which would stand for the Seattle Commodore User Group. I like the idea of bringing in the 8-bits, too.

And "scug" means "shade, shadow" or “a shelter; a sheltered place.” I think it's cool that it has a double meaning. Seems easier to pronounce, too!

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:17 pm

The 'to suck' user group!

Haha! ;)

Return to “The Lounge”