intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Before the Amiga, before the Commodore 64... before the PET, Commodore made filing cabinets and other office furniture. I don't know the full history, but I believe they may have been produced in Canada in the 1960s. I do remember reading somewhere at some point that the manufacturing process learned in the cabinet and furniture business is what helped inform the product design for the Commodore PET and its metal cases.

I happened to find one of these interesting cabinets on Craigslist. Actually the owner had two, but I could only squeeze one into my house. Filing cabinets aren't exactly small things.

You know your Commodore obsession is pretty bad when you see a filing cabinet online and think for a second, "Hang on - is that a Commodore logo?" And you're right! And you don't stop but go get the darn thing which took over two hours of driving in a van without A/C. My left arm got sunburned during the trip as I had to hang it out the window to try and cool off. But I had to take one for the team.

Truth is our office really needed this. But I'm super excited it has the Commodore logo on it (and that my wife was cool with it!). She even considered having me go back for the other cabinet! I am one lucky dude.

This cabinet had originally been owned by an engineer from Boeing who died many years ago. It was then passed on to a family friend, and they'd had it in storage for years.
IMG_6338.jpg
IMG_6339.jpg
IMG_6340.jpg
IMG_6341.jpg

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:28 pm

I own one of those Commodore filing cabinets. I got it when I bought a computer business in 2001. I also have one of the original calculators from the '70's. I suppose it still works.
The bad news is that my cabinet is at my ex-wifes house. It was full of her stuff and she asked if she could hold on to it. I made her swear not to get rid of it.
I think I will buy a used one, and get mine back..

Return to “The Lounge”