intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:15 am

I now have in my possession a massive collection of Fred Fish disks. I have several hundred that were made back in the day all on floppy.

Anyway I was thumbing through them last night. Some of them - not many but a few - have little notes on them letting you know the basic gist of the disk's contents.

I stopped at disk #196. On the sticker it said, "HAM Pics". I thought that's worth a look so I popped it in the drive.

Right off the bat I had to admire the disk's icon.
iconFFD196.jpg
What a clever little design in a sea of blue.

Then I loaded up the HAM pics one at a time. Holy crap you guys think about it.

OCS
A stock Amiga 1000

That's all this takes. It's hard to remember what 1986/87 was like back in the day tech-wise, but it was SO far away from this. For most people, anyway.

Enjoy.
IMG_8075.jpg
IMG_8076.jpg
IMG_8073.jpg
IMG_8074.jpg

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:37 pm

What's the color mode the 1000 is incapable of? Was that EHB 64? I mean obviously it has HAM... Or is all that solved with a different Agnus?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:26 pm

From Wikipedia:
12-bit color palette (4096 colors). Graphic modes with up to 32, 64 (EHB mode; Early NTSC models do not have the EHB mode) or 4096 (HAM mode) on-screen colors:
Is that what you meant?

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Yeah. How early is "early"? And is that a period, end of the line for those machines? Or do they just need to upgrade the Agnus?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Back in the day (and even now) there was no updating the Agnus on an A1000 - especially not by Commodore. They flat out discontinued the A1000 to focus on the new line up, which is what made some folks back then freak out. It was back in a time when buying a computer was more like buying a car for the long term. That rapidly changed by the mid 90s, didn't it!

The "skinny" Angus was all there was. It's literally a totally different shape, i.e. not a square chip but rectangular exactly like Paula and Denise. The only people who pushed the A1000 higher were the lucky few who got their hands on a Rejuvenator daughterboard replacement board. The Rejuvenator brought the A1000 up to the levels of an A500 with 1mb chip or A3000 Agnus with 2mb chip. The skinny Agnus was only 256k, and the front expansion added another 256. And, it provided the ability to get ECS Paula and Denise, just like the 500 can be upgraded to as well.

So yeah, the A1000 was kind of limited by design from the start compared to her younger sisters, but still mind-blowingly amazing right out of the box.

A10001986

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:10 am

It's a 8362-R6 (or later) *Denise* you want. No Agnus update needed (nor was there one).

The 8362-R5 lacks EHB, all later versions have it. Chips are interchangeable.

Edit: Not all later versions work in the A1000: You need an OCS Denise 8362, the ECS-Denise (8373) does not work in the A1000.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Love the pics.
They bring back old memories.

What I don't really understand is the hype around the rejuvenator.
... Love my Phoenix ;) .

Cheers,
McT

Return to “The Lounge”