intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:39 am

If you've never read the book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" the title of this post will make absolutely no sense. But, the Games Library is currently at 42 games, an important number in that book. And it's time to take a look around and plan the next 42 (or however many).

Here is the current list in the Games Library as of June 22, 2016

1. Turrican
2. Theme Park (AGA)
3. Lemmings
4. World Circuit (Formula One Grand Prix)
5. Journey: The Quest Begins
6. James Clavell's Shogun
7. Trinity
8. A Mind Forever Voyaging
9. Wishbringer
10. Leather Goddesses of Phobos
11. The Lurking Horror
12. Eye of the Beholder
13. Questron II
14. Archon: The Light and the Dark
15. Roadwar 2000
16. Loom
17. Battle Chess
18. The Secret of Monkey Island
19. Maniac Mansion
20. Black Crypt
21. Earl Weaver Baseball
22. PowerMonger
23. Dune II
24. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (The Graphic Adventure)
25. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
26. Wing Commander
27. Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods
28. SimCity
29. Syndicate
30. The Colonel’s Bequest
31. Defender of the Crown
32. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
33. Pirates!
34. The Faery Tale Adventure
35. Prince of Persia
36. Elvira 2: The Jaws of Cerberus
37. BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception
38. Lost Dutchman Mine
39. Zak McKracken
40. Conquests of Camelot
41. Leisure Suit Larry
42. It Came from the Desert
UPDATE:
43. Their Finest Hour
44. Time Bandit
45. Pool of Radiance

Most likely next on the list:
Space Quest

Potential games to add in the near future (in no particular order):
Civilization, Sid Meier’s (1991)
The Sentinel
Wings
North and South
The Settlers
UFO: Enemy Unknown
Battlehawks 1942
Rocket Ranger
Desert Strike

I have several others on my list after this that were well known on other platforms (e.g. C64, DOS, etc.) that were ported to the Amiga. Games like Bard’s Tale, Marble Madness, etc.

Ideally I think the focus should be pre-1993, and quite possibly pre-1990 at this stage. Does anyone have any favorites from their past that aren’t mentioned above that you think should be considered in the early goings?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:02 pm

Some early suggestions via Twitter: The Plague - Axels Magic Hammer - Time Bandit (done) and "that tennis ball bouncing in space on tiles game!"

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Some of the Gold Box games need to get in there. Pool of Radiance at the very least but there's a whole hell of a lot more and they were all at least a little better on the Amiga.

Gateway to the Savage Frontier and Treasures of the Savage Frontier are two of my favorite gold box games. Railroad Tycoon... Empire, a simple but has to be the best computer version ever...

Global Effect... Have not played that in forever... Mostly remember my dad playing it... Late game in the Amiga era, Amiga original I believe... Possibly UK origin though... But it's a SimCity/Civilization type of game, and... I can't remember if it was any good but it was a game the American's would have liked way more than the Europeans.

Should put in a few of the simple American ones as well... How about Arkanoid? Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Test Drive/Test Drive II. PGA Tour Golf... lot of golf games I remember my dad having and the Amiga version usually shined above the rest. I believe the second Links on the Amiga used HAM mode, 4096 colors... Never played it myself but it looks like the Amiga version is the best, another Access game (they made Links) and the first of what would become extremely noteworthy in the mid 90's, Mean Streets, the first Tex Murphy game.

A-Train without a doubt... Late Maxis game, bit of SimCity/Railroad Tycoon, great graphics. Simple but nice sound, good but terribly repetitive music, but I've yet to switch it off. Sim Ant. Sim Earth. Sim Farm. Carrier Command was one my dad got heavily into but I was only able to do a few tiny things in because you needed to read the manual. I loved watching him play that one though, have not really looked into it much since.

Star Flight, closest the regular Amiga got to a Star Trek like RPG, and it's best on the Amiga. I adored that game as a kid and still love it, one of the best RPGs on any computer ever. Have to get some simulations in there as well, FA-18 I believe was a pack in for our A500. F117A and F19 Stealth Fighter were very cool to play because you snuck around more than you attacked. Knights of the Sky was a good one. Falcon was ground breaking at the time.

TV Sports Football was a cinemaware sports game I loved. To this day I played that game more than any other football game. Hostage....ohhhh.... If you've never heard of hostage GET IT NOW! -

Grand Prix Circuit, do not confuse with F1GP/World Circuit. Grand Prix was an accolade game (Test Drive) that featured many courses from the late 80's F1 schedule, including DETROIT! Killing Game Show was from the UK but I remember it having this super kick ass electric guitar rock soundtrack and very unique gameplay for a sidescroller.

Might and Magic II and III deserve a mention, as the 2nd one was the best computer version and the 3rd one was a very late American Amiga game. Out of this World (Another World in Europe) was how I believe all Amiga sidescrollers should have been trying to be if they wanted to make a name for themselves.

Pinball Dreams, of course, the pinball game all would emulate for years to come... Ports of Call (Jim Sachs) should get in there... Qix was an arcade port that looked pretty sweet on the Amiga. Aww, Romance of the Three Kingdoms.... I gotta play that one again...

The immortal Seven Cities of Gold. Wings, of course... Maybe some of those simple Epyx sports games like Winter Games/California Etc... Probably more well known on the C64 but they did get the Amiga treatment looking a little better... Say goodbye to your joystick though... War In Middle Earth... I remember that one boring me to death but my dad seemed to play it a lot.

As you see... I got a lot of suggestions...hahah... Don't worry, just throwing some out to see if anything grabs you... I should be covering all of those myself at some point.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Just thought of The Persian Gulf Inferno, another very unique Amiga side scroller, possibly Amiga original, and American. Funny looking at the HOL box covers, as they the different markets got different screenshots and it's so obviously wrong in the European markets. But yes, side scroller with guns/killing/terrorists that make racist noises that still scare the shit out of me. Hard to memorize/finish but fun enough you won't care how much you die.

Oh! Into The Eagles Nest! The game that got me so excited to come home from school I slammed it into the Amiga and broke the damn disk drive! Very "Alien Breed"ish, before Alien Breed. Birds eye view of the one man Nazi killing machine (you).

I can go on and on... Must stress once again (for the overall Amiga community, I'm sure anyone here knows this) that there was no shortage of Amiga games for us American's to get our hands on! And quite a few were were made here.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:37 pm

King's Bounty - What would later evolve into Heroes of Might and Magic. The basics are all there and the Amiga version is sweet!

Leffmann

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:53 am

Something from the King's Quest series maybe, part V in particular looks very good with its huge leap in graphics quality.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:05 pm

OK, thanks everyone! Here's my current (work-in-progress) list of games to consider so far, in no particular order:

King's Quest V
Space Quest
Star Flight
TV Sports Football
The Persian Gulf Inferno
Into The Eagles Nest
King's Bounty
FA-18
Falcon
FA-19 Stealth Fighter
Knights of the Sky
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Railroad Tycoon
Seven Cities of Gold
Wings
Empire
Arkanoid
Grand Prix Circuit
Might and Magic II and III
Sim Ant
Sim Earth
Sim Farm
Carrier Command
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
A-Train
Out of this World (Another World in Europe)
Pinball Dreams
Ports of Call
Qix
Civilization, Sid Meier’s
The Sentinel
Wings
North and South
The Settlers
UFO: Enemy Unknown
Battlehawks 1942
Rocket Ranger
Desert Strike
Global Effect

If anyone has any other ideas for contenders to be in the first 100, keep 'em coming. Although, this new list is exactly 42 games, so maybe we don't mess with perfection. :)

Return to “The Lounge”