Amiga hardware info, help and support with a focus (but not limited to) North American NTSC experiences. Open to all.
A10001986

Re: Amiga 2000 in need of some help, restore in progress.

by A10001986 Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:01 am

Your config does not match the description I quoted. So what happens if you swap the drives on the cable (df0 last, df1 first)?
Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

by Zippy Zapp Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:47 am

A10001986 wrote:Your config does not match the description I quoted. So what happens if you swap the drives on the cable (df0 last, df1 first)?

It doesn't work right. It sees DF1: as DF0: and any disk inserted into what is supposed to be DF0: just says ???. Plus the drive light stays on all the time with DF1: Also in the early startup menu it shows only DF0: and does not show a second drive.

I have not found my instruction sheet yet that Commodore sent with the second drive but I am pretty sure the instructions on the internet that I have found about the twist going to DF0: are wrong. I opened my other single drive A2000 and the twist part of the cable is coiled over the ribbon from the factory. The untwisted part is plugged into DF0:. I am going to try swapping cables and see if that changes anything. If not I wont worry about it because it seems to work fine.
femuruy

by femuruy Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:28 am

Maybe it is just a problem with the FDD board that leaves the light on? Chinons need to be recapped too!
Looking forward to get any of the AGA Amigas!
A10001986

by A10001986 Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Never heard of Chinons needing to be recapped. (Exception FB357A, there is a traditionally leaking smd cap near the motor. But here we are dealing with FB 354s.)

Wires 4 and 6 are exactly the LED control (INUSE), that's why swapping drives should work regardless, except for erratic LED behavior. LED always on more sounds like the cable plugged in the wrong way, one pin off or the like.
femuruy

by femuruy Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:55 am

Looking forward to get any of the AGA Amigas!
A10001986

by A10001986 Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 am

Yes, thanks, I know it CAN be recapped, but like the A2000 or A3000, this is really, really seldomly really required.

I am sure that this case is not cap-related, because the drives actually work, and the relatively big caps only are there to stabilize power from the power source or for the motor.
Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

by Zippy Zapp Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 pm

I don't think it is a cap problem either as I had the drives apart to lubricate the mechanisms and the cap *looks* fine, no evidence of leaking.

I have heard it said that the caps in the A500/2000 and really the 64 and 128 too, could last 40 years or more. Well some of them have been lasting 30+ years so I am not so sure they are wrong.

I still have yet to swap out the cable or the drives with the other A2000.

Meanwhile in the restore process I found an A2091 SCSI card locally. It came out of an A2000 that was working but sold off for parts. No RAM installed. I popped it in and it shows up in Sysinfo so I will need to hook up a HD to it to see if it works fully. It has ROM 6.6, which is one revision before the final of 7.0. I think I could probably burn a set of 7.0 ROMs as I am sure the .bin files for these are around.

I thought I had DRAM that could work with the board but apparently I am all out. I ordered some 44256 DRAMs. I had 30+ 41256 but those are wrong. Oh well.

I have a few SCSI drives to choose from so that should be ok. But I am considering getting a SCSI2SD for this one.