intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:31 am

Dannnnng a 4000. I can't wait to see you screenshot and post your SysInfo. :)

Do you have the specs for it? Does it have RAM, HDD, etc?

You shouldn't need an accelerator! 25Mhz rocks Amiga world. Is yours desktop or T (tower)?

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:23 am

He hasn't given me way too much info on it, except that it's a desktop with an '040 inside. Last he remembered, it had 16MB RAM.

He's been super busy with work lately, though, so he hasn't had much time to get the 4000 packed up yet. I'm gonna wait patiently, though. :)

(EDIT!) He's going to go get a box for it either today or tomorrow and then we're going to work out the shipping details from there. :D

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 am

So another update: my friend and I spoke on Skype about the Amiga 4000. Details:
  • He put some Kickstart 3.1 ROMs onto the board and tried firing it up again, only now to be greeted by a blue screen on boot. He tried swapping Buster chips from another board that worked, and still got the blue screen.
  • Which means that I may have to change the Buster chip. Luckily Amigastore.eu has me covered! ;)
  • He's going to include a couple of extra cards with the A4000, one of which is a graphics card (although he couldn't identify it).
  • There's no CD-ROM drive installed, but I've got a few PATA drives I can use. I may want to find a white faceplate for them, though.
  • All of the 72-pin SIMMs he had on hand, he's including.
  • The hard drive included is stock. He says there's a Workbench 3.1 install on it.
  • The PSU and power button are in perfect working order.
  • The only payment he wants for this A4000, aside from shipping, is that I get it restored and show him a video of it working again. :)
But in all, I'm so super stoked that an Amiga 4000 is coming to my home soon, and only for the cost of shipping it! This is a tremendous moment; I'll finally have a desktop Amiga that I've always dreamed of! If this bad boy does indeed work, it may quell my hunt for an Amiga 1200 and make for a much better substitute, especially since the A4000 is so much more expandable! :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:20 am

According to the boot-up screen color codes, blue might mean "Denise, Paula or Agnus". Has he pulled these and just tried to re-seat them?

Oftentimes it doesn't help but every so often I read about someone reseating a chip and 'boom!' tears of joy begin to flow.

Also, I think the 4000 is prone to capacitor issues in some cases over time, just like the 600/1200 models. Might want to open the case and look for any bulging caps.

But it's probably one of those custom chips that has gone buh- bye.

icbrkr
Particles! BBS

Posted Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:38 pm

intric8 wrote:According to the boot-up screen color codes, blue might mean "Denise, Paula or Agnus". Has he pulled these and just tried to re-seat them?

Oftentimes it doesn't help but every so often I read about someone reseating a chip and 'boom!' tears of joy begin to flow.

Also, I think the 4000 is prone to capacitor issues in some cases over time, just like the 600/1200 models. Might want to open the case and look for any bulging caps.

Yup, the 4000 had the same issue as the 600/1200. I wouldn't rule this out at all. I'd do the reseat first, then recap next.

The 4000 had the Alice, Lisa, and Paula. Alice and Lisa are normally SMD'd to the board, so it's pretty rare that they actually go out.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 am

intric8 wrote:According to the boot-up screen color codes, blue might mean "Denise, Paula or Agnus". Has he pulled these and just tried to re-seat them?

The funny thing is that the entire board was completely recapped. We had aimed at the Buster chip first since it's a PLCC chip and easily pulled, but if it's the Alice, Paula, or Lisa chips, I'm going to need someone to help me source a chip and perform surgery. If it's just a bad Buster, Amigastore.eu has them in stock.

Return to “Hardware”