Amiga hardware info, help and support with a focus (but not limited to) North American NTSC experiences. Open to all.
3D-vice
Germany

by 3D-vice posted Sun May 26, 2019 5:26 am

Hello all,

since I am now ready to start my Amiga 500 Workover & Upgrade Project, I thought about documenting the progress here. I have no clue about how long this journey will last, but since haste makes waste and I am not in a hurry, I'll take all the time I need to do it properly.

LOAD"STEP01",8,1
SEARCHING FOR STEP01: "Purchase all parts required."
READY
RUN

I've got all the parts I'll try to incorprate into my Amiga 500. Here's a short summary of the stuff I got, in addition to my original unmodified Amiga 500, which includes an external secondary Floppy Drive:
    - Modern Power Supply Unit for Amiga 500
    - New Insulation Layer for the Mainboard
    - Terrible Fire 530 Accelerator (incl. relocator socket)
    - DF0 - DF1 Switch (for booting from either DF0 or DF1)
    - 512k Memory Expansion (RC512K)
    - IDE Compact Flash Adapter
    - True IDE Board (with two switchable Compact Flash Card-Sockets)
    - GOTEK USB Floppy Emulator (black HxC Firmware Version)
    - Indivision ECS V2 VGA-Adapter
    - ACE2 2MB ChipRAM Extension
    - Micromys V5 PS2-Mouse Adapter
    - Kickstart 3.X ROM for Amiga 500
    - Workbench 3.1 (on CF-Card and Floppy Disks)
Amiga500_ProjectStart.jpg

LOAD"STEP02",8,1
SEARCHING FOR STEP02: "RetroBright treatment for case and mouse."
READY
RUN

As previously shown in my members introduction, I've already given the case a successfull brightening treatment. The next step is to apply this treatment to the original Amiga mouse, as well as cleaning the original dust cover. After that, the real fun begins... ;)
"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."
Quote from Major Motoko Kusanagi - Ghost In The Shell
obitus1990
New Orleans, LA, USA

by obitus1990 posted Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 am

Looks to be a very fun project. Great photos, btw! Why did you opt to buy the TRUEIDE card? I ask because I had bought one years back, only to have it not work with anything Amiga related (Jens even asked me "why the hell did you buy that to use with an Amiga" or something similar :) ) when I contacted him for support. Does the TF require it?
3D-vice
Germany

by 3D-vice posted Sun May 26, 2019 1:31 pm

obitus1990 wrote:Looks to be a very fun project. Great photos, btw! Why did you opt to buy the TRUEIDE card? I ask because I had bought one years back, only to have it not work with anything Amiga related (Jens even asked me "why the hell did you buy that to use with an Amiga" or something similar :) ) when I contacted him for support. Does the TF require it?

Thanks, man. :) Well, I got the TrueIDE card because I like that it runs 2 CF-cards simultaneously as Master and Slave units, and that the master-slave-mode can be interchanged by hotkeys. Since I found the TrueIDE card in the "Amiga" category in Jens' shop, I assumed that it would be compatible to an Amiga computer. The TF530 does not require it, nope, but I've read that it shall run smoothly when plugged into the TF530. So, I still have hopes to get it going. :D
"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."
Quote from Major Motoko Kusanagi - Ghost In The Shell