rmookhram
The Netherlands

Posted Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi there. Would appreciate some advice. I recentñy bought an Amiga A1000 PAL from Ebay Germany.
Unfortunately the vendor did not send the original Kickstart disk or Workbench disk.
Sp I ordered the Cloanto ones (Kickstart 1.3). What I noticed though: the Amiga internal drive keeps ticking. Even when I insert the Kickstart 1.3 disk: nothing happens, it just keeps ticking. A defective internal 3.5 inch floppy drive?

Thanks.

oldbull

Posted Mon May 27, 2019 2:33 pm

Watch this:
https://youtu.be/q6wSm3p_z2c

Our own intric8 even commented with a question and got an answer. I looked at the product link as I have a 1000 myself and it appears the df0: selector is the same as used on an A500. If the internal FDD is in fact dead, at least you can connect an external drive.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon May 27, 2019 5:27 pm

What I noticed though: the Amiga internal drive keeps ticking
You probably don't remember, but this is a normal sound for all Amigas. Once you power on the machine, the FDD will continuously make a repetitive click sound. This is just the drive waiting for a disk to be inserted. Some people would create blank disks to put in there to make it stop that noise. I don't mind it.

But if you're putting the Kickstart disk in the drive, and it isn't reading it (and the noise continues) then that might mean the disk isn't fully seated in there. (It could be full of dust bunnies, too - I've seen that before).

rmookhram
The Netherlands

Posted Tue May 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks Oldbull and Intric8: will check it out and report back. Thanks.

rmookhram
The Netherlands

Posted Tue May 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Update:

- intric8 was right; the floppy disc positioning was not correct. I also noticed that the ejector button for the internal FDD was quite loose.

- I inserted the Kickstart 1.3 and the Amiga loaded it then asking for workbench. Did that and got a Read error message and cancelled several times ending up in workbench. Got into CLI and played around doing the usual LS, CD etc. The keyboard is a joy to use; I cant touch type yet, but this computer and it´s keyboard would be marvellous to do that (Mavis Beacon).

-Then booted original games I bought (ones with original boxing and manuals etc); everything worked, only BattleChess required more memory and did not boot further. I had to find some youtube video on how to do a soft reset ; )

-The games that booted; Ik+, Super Hangon, SWIV, Battle Squadron, Sidewinder, Pang, RVF Honda. Hooked up a Suzo Arcade and instant memories, the clicking of the arcade switches (I think I am going to sample these, just in case I decide to finally spend some time on that retro twinstick shooter I am contemplating). I am using a 1084 S monitor and was pleasantly surprised by the image quality, bursting with colours and some nice explosions with the shmups on the audio side.

Thanks for the help.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm

@rmookhram that's awesome news! I'm so glad everything is working well. Sounds like you just need to do a little TLC maintenance.

And I totally agree about the keyboard - it's one of the most solidly built by C=. And it's tidy little package is just fantastic.

Welcome back into the fold! <3

oldbull

Posted Tue May 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Congratulations. Now check out intric8's posts on the "Rejuvenator". :)

Return to “Hardware”